An Evening Out

Requested by LoveGoodhead

“Oliver, don’t you walk away from me!” I argued following him as he stormed out of our bedroom. “Oliver!”

He ignored me, his footsteps echoing throughout the halls of our studio apartment. Oliver always got silent when he was upset. He’d rather walk away then face our problems.

“Oliver!” I growled trying to catch up with him, as he grabbed his coat from out of the side closet. “Oliver! Don’t do this! Please not today! It’s our anniversary for god’s sake.”

I grabbed his arm, trying to stop him, but he jerked his hand away from me, pushing me aside. I shoved him hard out of anger. He fell into the array of jackets hanging up in the closet. Jackets flew off the hangars, falling on top of him, as he fell to the ground. I chewed on my bottom lip as he stood up angrily, throwing the jackets off of him.

“Oliver, I’m sorry,” I began, stumbling across my words. I reached out to touch him, but he slapped my hand away.

“Don’t touch me, Sam,” he snorted, his eyes welling up with tears, as he rushed out the front door. “Don’t.”

We always fought, Oliver and I, but it was never this bad. I never put my hands on him. I don’t know what came over me. I grabbed my keys and wallet, rushing out after him. I didn’t even bother locking our apartment door back. That was the last thing on my mind.

“Oliver,” I called out as the elevator doors closed. I slid into the stairwell, rushing down the steps quickly. He couldn’t just leave like this. It was our anniversary. I had to make up with him. We had reservations for Jimmy’s in three hours. I had finally called early enough to get us a table. I had planned the most romantic evening for us. It was supposed to be my chance to make-up for the previous year, which I had completely forgotten. Oliver still shot that back in my face every time we got into it.

I pushed open the metal door, marked floor 1, glancing around the lobby. Oliver was nowhere in sight. He must have already gone outside. I quickly moved out onto the street, my eyes flickering down the busy city sidewalk. Tons of people were walking around, but I couldn’t pinpoint Oliver anywhere. It was like he had disappeared into thin air.

I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. I had really screwed up this time. I never intended for us to get into an argument today. I was trying so hard to make everything perfect. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened them, I caught sight of Oliver at the end of the street.

Thank god.

I moved swiftly through the crowds of people. It was always busy on Friday nights thanks to the clubs and bars on our street. It was easy to lose someone in the crowd. My eyes were glued to Oliver as he moved into the Green Room – one of our favorite bars.

I walked in, catching sight of him sitting down at a table alone with his face in his hands. I counted to ten, before I sat down beside him. He glanced up at me, as soon as I did, with red puffy eyes. He had been crying. I instantly felt terrible.

“Oliver I’m sorry,” I said in a soft voice. “I didn’t mean to get into it with you today of all days. It was stupid of me. I’m sorry I yelled at you and I put my hands on you. It wasn’t right and it’ll never happen again. I guess that I just wanted everything to be so perfect today and I ruined it again.”

Oliver grabbed a napkin, blowing into it. “It’s ok, Sam. I shouldn’t have provoked you like that. It’s my fault too. You’re not an inconsiderate douchebag. Ok and I’m sorry I came home late. I didn’t know you had anything planned. I wouldn’t have gone out with Greg after work.”