A Living Cliche - Part Three (Final Part)

I bit my lip as I caught sight of Dorian at a table in his favorite bar. He ushered me over, as I pulled up to the stool beside him. This was the first time we had seen each other since he found out about Jake.

“Drink?” Dorian offered snapping for the bartender. “How the hell are you, Liam?”

“I’m fine,” I said awkwardly sitting down beside him. I wanted to bring up the fact that he knew I was gay now, but I didn’t know how. Dorian wasn’t the kind of guy who talks about feelings, so perhaps I should just leave it alone. But a part of me wanted to know why he hadn’t been surprised when Jake had told him.

“You want bourbon right?” Dorian asked as the bartender came over. “The gentleman wants bourbon.”

“What are you doing in a bar at three o’clock in the afternoon? Dorian,” I sighed as I slid the shot towards him. Just because he was drinking in the afternoon didn’t mean I had to partake.

“No particular reason – I was thirsty,” Dorian winked. “So, how’s the cop?”

“Jake? He and I are good,” I said as Dorian gulped down the shot.

“Well, Chelsea and I aren’t,” Dorian laughed. “She broke up with me.”

Well, that explains what he was doing at the bar in the afternoon. Chelsea had broken up with him. He always drinks his problems away. I sighed as my phone vibrated in my pocket. It was Jake. I let it vibrate as Dorian explained to me, how he and Chelsea had broken up. Apparently, she didn’t think Dorian was committed to their relationship. A part of me was happy that she broke up with Dorian. Although I had only ever met her once, I didn’t think she was right for Dorian. But in my mind, of course, no one was ever good enough for him.

I sighed as my phone vibrated again. I glanced at the screen. Jake had texted me. He wanted to go out tonight. I sent back an ok, as I focused back on Dorian.

“You know they come and go,” Dorian huffed. “You want to go clubbing with me tonight?”

“I have plans with Jake tonight,” I replied. “But uh – maybe tomorrow night? I have to get back to work. Will you be ok? Promise me you’ll take a taxi home.”

“Yes Lame,” Dorian said rolling his eyes. “I’m not suicidal, you know.”

“Don’t make me call your ex-wife,” I teased as I walked out of the bar. Dorian sucked his teeth as I moved back to my car. I felt terrible just leaving him. I had never seen him so hurt, but knowing him he’d bounce back. He always did.

That evening, when I was getting ready for my date with Jake, there was a knock at my door. I quickly moved to open it to find, Dorian standing outside of my door.

“Lame,” he shouted, the smell of whiskey drifting from his breath. God, how much had he had to drink? Did he not stop since I left him at the bar earlier? I sighed as I pulled him onto my couch. I handed him a bottle of water, as he leaned back.

“Dorian,” I sighed. “How much have you had to drink?”

“Only a little and that’s the truth,” Dorian replied. “Chelsea called me. You know she’s married? My god – I was the other man in her affair. Juicy stuff right? It’s like out of a soap opera.”

“I’m sorry Dorian,” I said sitting beside him. “Drink the water please.”

“Ok ok,” Dorian said taking a gulp of it. “Look I’m practically sober. But anyways, where are you going all dressed up? You look like someone off of GQ.”

“I have a date remember with Jake tonight,” I replied as he placed the water bottle down.

“Can’t you cancel? I’m in the middle of a crisis here,” Dorian replied being all dramatic as usual. “I need a friend. I need a wingman.”