My Horrible Ex-Husband Thanksgiving Special - Part II

“I wouldn’t go in there,” Michael huffed, just as Eli was about to walk into the kitchen. “Dad is in a cranky mood and he hates when people are in the kitchen when he cooks. Trust me.”

“Yeah right,” Eli huffed rolling his eyes. “Caleb loves me.”

Eli walked into the kitchen, wrapping his arms around my waist. He planted kisses on my neck affectionately, proclaiming his love for me. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I feel the love! Now get the hell out of my kitchen,” I retorted.

“Everything smells deli – “

“Out! Out!” I huffed pushing Eli out of the kitchen. He can be so annoying sometimes. Eli gave me a puppy dog face, before walking out of the kitchen slowly. I could hear him mumbling something underneath his breath after he walked out. I shot him a dirty look, but he had already walked away.

“I love you Eli,” I called out in jest. He didn’t reply back. Shortly after, the doorbell chimed. My eyes quickly darted to the clock. It was only ten in the morning. I told everyone to come around three thirty – ish. Who could possibly be here now?

My question was answered as soon as I heard the nasally dry voice of Eli’s mother. I groaned throwing my oven mitts on the floor. Of course, she would come early. Of course! I sighed, glancing out the kitchen doorway to see Eli taking their jackets and such. Why did they have bags? Don’t tell me they planned on staying overnight. Could this day get any worse?

And just as I said that another body walked through the door.  He was some dark haired attractive gentleman with a white smile and glowing tan skin. He was definitely a part of Eli’s mother’s sabotage plan. She always did this. She always brought some single guy over whom she claimed was a part of her company and talked about how much he makes and how big his house is. I rolled my eyes. I should have seen this coming. Oh wait! I did.

I watched as Eli grinned at him, giving him a hug. Oh brother. I didn’t even bother pulling my apron off. I walked straight over towards them without another thought.

“Caleb, I assume,” the man said extending a hand towards me.

“And you are?” I asked in confusion.

“Caleb! This is my cousin, Dennis,” Eli smirked. “Don’t you remember? He was at our wedding.”

“Oh Dennis!” I said feigning remembrance. I did not remember this guy at all. I gave him a plastic smile, quickly excusing myself into the kitchen. Maybe Eli’s mother wasn’t trying to sabotage us this time. I guess I had overreacted over nothing.

At least while I was in the kitchen I didn’t have to be nice to Eli’s mother. Hell I don’t even think I could pretend anymore if I wanted to. So, I stayed in the kitchen. Eventually, Dennis moseyed in without warning.

“Do you need any help?” he asked curiously. I turned around quickly, shaking my head.

“No I’m fine,” I replied quickly.

“I get it! I get it! It’s your kitchen and you don’t want anyone invading your space,” Dennis smiled at me. “But I mean I know my way around the kitchen.”

“I bet you do,” I snapped back quickly as I prepared the stuffing. Dennis hovered over me, stepping beside me, watching my every move. He shook his head at me.

“What?” I huffed. “Do you have something to say?”

“No – Well actually yes,” Dennis sighed. “You’re doing this all wrong. You should not use box stuffing. I know a recipe that will blow your socks off.”