16. Running Away

Song: Walking Away - Craig David

Note 15. Questions is an actual chapter so go read it if you haven't.

"John Steinbeck once wrote: 'Change comes like a little wind that ruffles the curtains at dawn, and it comes like the stealthy perfume of wildflowers hidden in the grass.'" - Lucas Scott One Tree Hill.

***
Jess glances at Hera who looks up to her as if asking for help.

Jess drinks her coffee ignoring the plea. Hera sighs and looks back down at her daughter's sleepy eyes.

"Daddy is...Daddy is..." Hera struggles for an explanation just as her phone rings.

She quickly reaches to it and picks it up thankful for the interruption.

"Hello?" She answers rocking her legs to put back the sleepy Shakespeare to sleep.

"Good morning. May I please speak to Hera Reynolds?" The voice on the other end asks.

"Speaking," Hera replies moving Shakespeare so her weight is not on just one of her legs.

"Oh hi Hera! My name is Laurie Dahlquist. I'm the hiring manager for the clothing department of Mixx. We enjoyed meeting you last week and we think you'd be a great fit here with us at the clothing department. We'd like to make you an offer for a cashier position at a starting pay of $15 per hour," Laurie says.

"Erm....I... Thank you so much for the offer. Now's not a good time, is it okay if I call you back?" Hera asks.

"Sure, I'm sorry to have called at a bad time, do you know what time?" Laurie asks.

"Erm..."Hera says.

"Actually, feel free to call me anytime today,this is my direct number and if you have any concerns on the pay too just let me know," Laurie says.

"Okay, Thank you. Have a good day," Hera quickly replies and cuts the phone.

"Who was that?" Jess asks.

"Mixx, they said I got the job," Hera says looking down at Shakespeare who had fallen asleep on her bossum.

"So why didn't you accept the offer?" Jess asks confused.

"It's Mixx, I don't want to run into Lexis," Hera replies.

"You do realize you live in his house and have already met him right?" Jess asks.

"Yes but, that was just him not the whole Black clan," Hera replies.

"What makes you think the whole clan won't show up at your doorstep any moment from now? After all he doesn't remember you and may tell them about a certain Hera Reynolds who lives in his home with a kid," Jess says.

"Oh my Goodness, Jess I need to leave, I can't stay here," Hera replies getting up holding Shakespeare in her arms.

"So what, you're going to run away? Do you really think running away from Lexis would stop Peter from coming after you if he really wanted to? And how long are you going to keep running? Forever? Where to this time?" Jess asks suddenly getting frustrated and annoyed.

"Go put the girl to bed first then we'll talk," Jess says pointing to the sleeping child in Hera's arms.

Hera takes her back to her room and returns to the kitchen sitting down.

"Hera I get it, I understand your reasoning and fears but you can't keep running forever,"Jess says dropping her cup on the table.

"Jess I signed..." Hera starts but is interrupted by Jess.

"Yes you signed documents stating you'll stay away from him with his dad but Peter is in England Hera, he's not back, no one but Lexis is," Jess says.

"How...how do you know?" Hera asks.

"I did some digging last night and this morning, the Blacks are not yet back, it seems they sent Lexis ahead of them for whatever reason,"Jess says.

"They are not here," Hera repeats calming her nervous heart.

"Yes they're not which gives you time to research. Hera, if you run away without giving yourself the chance to know if he's happy, to answer some of the questions you may have, you'll regret it. You want to keep Shakespeare away from the Blacks so she's safe but if in future she finds out you never even tried to see if her dad was worthy of knowing about her but ran away then she may never forgive you," Jess says.

Hera stays silent in thought as she listens to Jess.

"You don't need to tell her who he really is till you're sure it's the right thing to do but for the sake of the man you once loved and your daughter, don't just run. Shakespeare said he saved her from a bad woman, that alone shows the Lexis you once knew is somewhere in there and I'm a lawyer, I believe in innocent until proven guilty, Hera you don't know the Lexis of today yet you're already crucifying him as guilty without evidence," Jess says letting out a deep breath.

"I won't dictate your decision on trying to get back with him but I'll say this, don't deny your daughter the experience of knowing whom her dad is based on the unknown, find the evidence that Peter hasn't changed and Lexis is now a monster like his father, that he'll be vengeful towards you once he knows how you're connected, that whatever life he is currently living is for the best before choosing to separate him from his daughter,"Jess says praying he is still the man Hera once fell in love with.

"Even if I accept the offer, he's an executive, he won't have any reason to come to see a mere cashier," Hera replies.

"Exactly! He won't, so why are you stopping yourself from making some extra money that could go a long way in helping you and your daughter? Especially when you've not gotten any other job offers?" Jess asks.

"Hera I know you want to stay, and try to find out as much as you can about how he's been hence why you're sitting here with me instead of sitting on the next plane to Nigeria. Lexis may never get his memory back, you yourself said it, it's been five years, if you're going to deny him and his daughter from knowing each other as blood relations then at least make sure you won't regret it because believe me, if you walk out of his life the second time without letting go of all your worries and getting answers to questions, you'll forever regret it and it'll kill you much more than his first fake death and the loss of your son ever did,especially when your daughter hates you for the unfairness," Jess says letting out a deep breath picking up the phone.

"Call them and accept the job, it won't give you answers or allow you meet him but it'll give you funds to take care of your self and your daughter while we both seek answers. If you run that will only raise his suspicions,which can then lead to your fears manifesting," Jess says stretching out her hands for Hera to call for the job.

"It's just a job, if you get another one tomorrow feel free to quit but for now, you need the money unless you want to live off your brother while you're here which by the way is just three weeks more," Jess adds frowning.

Three weeks more, three weeks more, Hera's mind reels.

"Okay," Hera says taking the phone from her letting out a deep breath dialling the number that just called her.

             At the same time Lexis takes out his phone to make a call but feels a sharp ringing pain through his head. He holds onto his head with his right hand, his left hand holding onto the tip of the desk as he falls on one knee as the pain intensifies. His breathing slows down as the pain increases causing him to scream out in pain as Maeve walks in, upon seeing him she throws down the files she was holding and rushes to his side.

"Alexander," She cries out alarmed quickly reaching for her phone to call an ambulance but Lexis grabs onto her hand stopping her as an image flows through his mind.

***
Lol

I'm not yet sure how I feel about this chapter, I may or may not edit it in future but for now it'll do.