Chapter 149: The End

Wendy was surprised, but not enough to condone the nickname.

"Pips?" she said, tracking the envelope as Pips crinkled and crisped. Distractedly, she refocused on reprimanding her uncle-in-law. "Pips my name is not toots, not babe, and not bodacious. My name is –"

"Wendy Pan!" Pips announced, flicking the envelope under her nose. He angled the paper so Wendy could read the recipient box. "Mrs. Wendy Moria Angela Darling Pan! Geezum what a title! And I thought your name was excessive before the addition!"

Wendy batted the envelope. "Pips –"

"Uncle Pips."

"Uncle Pips how did you get into my Underworld?" Wendy snatched the envelope. "And why are you wearing that ridiculous hat?"

"Oh what – this?" Pips removed the mail carrier cap. After a loving buff, he tossed the brim, flipping the hat neatly onto his head. "King Arthur hired me!"

Wendy blinked. "Hired you?"

"I cautioned him against it."

"But why would King Arthur hire you?"

"Why?" Pips bopped his hat. "I'll tell you why! You are looking at the new inter-realm liaison, tootsie! According to King Arthur, I have been hired because you four – the guardians – suck at communicating!"

Wendy straightened. "We do not – "

"As inter-realm liaison!" Pips continued, silencing Wendy. "It is my job to fly between the realms and deliver your messages! As inter-realm liaison, it is my job to open the communication gates! As inter-realm liaison, it is my job to keep you dweebs together, even when you're apart! Oh yeah..."

Pips massaged his bottom. "Y'all gonna to depend mighty heavily on this purty little behind, I can tell you that right now. Toned butt muscles are essential for aerodynamic flight! And with all this fancy flying I'm going to be doing between Underworld and Skyworld, and Underworld and Seaworld, and Underworld and Outerworld – "

"Pips." Wendy unsuccessfully interrupted.

"Take this letter for instance!" Pips tapped Wendy's envelop. "This little number is fresh from Outerworld."

"Outerwo..." Wendy looked at the envelope. "This letter is from Jim?"

Pips smacked his lips. "Open it up."

Wendy didn't wait. She ripped the envelope as if Jim were waiting for her under the seal. A paper scrap fluttered out. Wendy unfolded it hungrily; so hungrily, she almost tore through Jim's note.

Remember – we pinkie swore?

Okay Wen, keep up your end of the deal. Five pages. Emotional time bomb. Go.

"Pinkie swore...we pinkie swore..." Wendy reread, finger hovering over the blocky penmanship. 

Distantly she remembered Jim comforting her at Pirate's Point. They had just attacked The Princess, Shadow had just attacked them, Jim had just attacked Peter's intensions, and Wendy had crumbled under the stress. And when she crumbled, the real reason for her tears came out: Wendy didn't want to leave Fantasia. She didn't want to leave Ariel, Peter, or Jim. Not again.

So Jim had comforted her. In a very 'Jim-like-way,' he strategized and planned. And (being Jim), he found a solution. Wendy remembered, she could almost hear Jim's assurance: