Chapter 134: One For All

Arthur surrendered.

Kayley and Garrett did not. Neither did Astrid, Flynn, Merida, or Robin. Ruffnutt, Tuffnutt, Snoutlout, and Fishlegs also refused. Devon and Cornwall were so mad, they actually started working together! Please. Drop the sword and bow? Lame Ruber. Lame. Fear not Arthur! Save your lady! We will NOT serve a false king!

They continued fighting, but not for long. Pitch unleashed his nightmares; the Fantasians and Otherlanders were unglued. Bunny, North, and Schmendrick resisted with their magic, but came no closer to Arthur than an angry cry. The battlefield turned into a nightmare. Even Hiccup, who had discovered the secret of happy thoughts, was overcome.

"Alone at last." Pitch coiled Wendy's thread between his fingers. He glanced irritably as Elsa struggled against Peter. "My dear snow queen. What is all the fuss?"

"Arthur!" Elsa reached over the Black Cauldron. She was crying, but her snowflake tears twinkled blue with happiness. "Arthur you're alive! I thought – they told me you were gone! They said my magic froze your heart! But you're alive! Arthur you're – "

Pitch flicked Jack's staff. Peter reacted, throwing Elsa against the Black Cauldron. He flung her repeatedly, indifferent to anyone but Pitch. Arthur rose, but immediately stopped as Ruber drew Amalthea's blood. Jack shouted. He moved for Elsa as Wendy implored Peter, but Pitch intercepted before Jack could release.

"Everyone freeze." Pitch conjured his nightmares, one arm extended warningly towards Jack. As Jack submitted, Pitch rotated carefully to Arthur. "Ha – everyone freeze. Pun intended. What's the matter Your Majesty, are we still a little chilly? My...was the lady's kiss not enough to warm your frozen heart?"

Rubber giggled into Amalthea's ear. He stooped for Excalibur.

"Oh. Caliburn." Ruber absolutely quivered. Giddily, he admired the magical sword. "Caliburn! Mine forever! Ohhhh...let's test the blade..." Ruber pressed Excalibur under Amalthea's breast. "Shall we?"

"Stop." Arthur remained knelt but lifted a hand, as if to pull Excalibur away. "Stop now. You want me, and you have me. So...don't hurt her. Just...just let her go."

Ruber snickered. "Say please."

Arthur was livid. But he complied. "Please."

"Say it nicely."

"Please."

"Well that didn't sound very nice. Tut, tut, tut." Ruber twirled Excalibur. Playfully, he swicked Arthur's cheek. Arthur flinched. Ruber laughed. "Say you're sorry."

"Arthur." Amalthea begged. "Arthur don't – "

"I'm sorry." said Arthur, blood sliding across his jawline. "Let her go."

"Still a naughty, naughty tone!"

"Let her go."

"But you haven't asked nicely!"

"Let her go!"

"But whyyyyy? Your heart is frozen." Ruber bit Amalthea's lip. "She couldn't kiss it all better. True love must be shorter than forever – "

Arthur stood. "You filth don't touch her – "

Ruber lurched one step back. He swiped at Arthur before shoving Excalibur through Amalthea's heart.

Even the nightmares shivered as Arthur screamed.

Pitch smiled. He closed his eyes, absorbing Arthur's pain. And, just to be wicked, Pitch bade his nightmares to cover the moon, transforming Amalthea into a unicorn as she died.

"Now." Pitch handed Wendy her needle and thread. With Jack, he pressed her against the Black Cauldron. Peter did the same with Elsa, joining the girls' hands around the cold, metal base.

Pitch glanced back. Ruber was hysteric with laughter, Excalibur on Arthur's throat. Amalthea had collapsed, her white body red, her heart bleeding at Arthur's feet.

Pitch returned to the Black Cauldron. He spoke.

"Elsa – freeze the Cauldron, or Arthur dies. Wendy – work your shadow magic. Bring the Black Cauldron to life, or I will kill Peter Pan. And Jack – "

Pitch smiled. "Your task is simple. I will give you Elsa, if you don't let Wendy go. So... just be your belittled, selfish, invisible self."

They were trapped. They obeyed.

Pitch beamed as Fantasia was given to him by the hopeless, love stricken fools.

Jim stood at the edge of the plank. Stardust frosted his nose. Pirates barked behind him. The Wishing Star glittered directly ahead.

Second Star to the Right, and Second Star to the Wrong. The two halves shimmered between a velvety space canvass. The space canvass was frayed. Celestial threads drooped from the fabric, almost too frail to hold the star in place.

Jim wondered: could the Wishing Star be fixed? It's celestial environment was so fragile. If it was tampered with, the pieces might actually break. If the Wishing Star broke, it would turn into a shooting star. It would create a cosmic burst. And without his graphene suit to protect him...

...he would die.

"Very well, Lord Hawkins." Captain Hook beckoned. Ariel was dragged aloft. The pirates placed her in Jim's peripheral vision, just where he could see them stroking and fondling, but couldn't read her lips.

"You have your audience, per request." Captain Hook pointed. "Fix the star."

Jim stared into the dazzling galaxy. And for some reason, he remembered something Sinbad had said...

I've been on the run my entire life, keeping the monsters away from you and Mom.

Jim tried to look at Ariel. Captain Hook shoved the plank, averting his gaze. But as he faltered, Jim heard something else. He heard a second echo of the past, this time by Long John Silver.

"You give up a few things Jimbo...chasing a dream."

The adage was so clear, Jim thought (for a delirious second) that the cyborg had actually spoken. Right in his ear.

But that was impossible.

Jim stepped off the plank. Thinking of Ariel, he began fixing The Wishing Star, just as Wendy and Elsa fixed the Black Cauldron.