Chapter 147: Cloud Nine

King Arthur and Queen Amalthea did not stay for the entire wedding reception. They'd had a long day of royal obligation, and both were exhausted. Arthur and Amalthea were introverts, and they just wanted to be introverted together.

So they left. Arthur stole a plate of cookies, Amalthea smuggled a bottle of Champagne, and then they fled! The escape was very exciting but they didn't go far. Arthur brought Amalthea to the castle's backyard.

The backyard was actually located in the Otherland (whilst the front yard was located in Fantasia). The craggy terrain had been reconstructed into a beautiful, stone terrace. The terrace was tiered, and each tier sported a telescope for stargazing, giving the area a sense of 'openness.'

The openness also meant that the backyard wasn't terribly private. Wedding guests spied on Arthur and Amalthea from the castle windows, hoping to catch a kiss. The lack of privacy was a burden, but one they were willing to endure. 

Besides, the night wasn't completely spoiled: the terrace was 'out of earshot.' Arthur and Amalthea took full advantage of that luxury. They talked about everything.

"This isn't bad at all!" Arthur passed the Champagne after a second sip. "Very bubbly."

Amalthea smiled over the glass. "I forgot you've never had Champagne before."

"That's right!" Arthur shrugged happily. "I'm a little underage."

"My dear king you are severely underage. By several years."

"Two years. Two-ish. My twentieth birthday is coming up on January first, New Years Day! Then your birthday is ten days later on January eleventh."

"That is correct. And interesting."

"Interesting? How so? Want a cookie?"

"January eleventh is interesting..." Amalthea accepted an Italian cookie. "Because this year, my birth date will be a birthday."

"Is there a difference?"

"Yes. A birth date is just a marker, an ordinary day, a grain of sand amongst many. But a birthday would be analogous to a diamond."

"Diamond?"

"Like a diamond in the sands of time."

"So if I understand you correctly..." Arthur restated. "This year your birth date is special enough to be a birthday?"

"Correct."

"Why?" Arthur perked. "Because of me?"

"In part." said Amalthea, touching the red mark on her forehead. "You are the reason I am alive. Your wish brought me back to life. However, your wish also ended my immortality."

"It did?"

"Yes. Odette and Schmendrick said you wished to grow old with me. Well, if I am to grow old with you, then I cannot be immortal." Amalthea touched her chest. "I've never had a reason to celebrate my birthday. When time is cheap, age becomes meaningless. But now, my time is limited. I can feel this body dying around me. Every second has enormous value. So this year on January eleventh..."

Amalthea ate her cookie. "I will celebrate."

November leaves crackled across the moon. Arthur studied the foliage as he contemplated immortality and time. Amalthea was a straightforward girl, and her happiness seemed sincere. But Arthur couldn't help feeling sad. And guilty.