Chapter 10: Jelsa

Chapter 10: Jelsa

"....wowwwww." Jack moaned. "You gotta be kidding me."

It was official: Jack hated Fantasians.

His fall from outer space had not been fun. His landing had been one hundred times worse. After the psycho-spacer shot him with the laser gun, Jack had been paralyzed. His muscles liquefied, his nerves sizzled out, and Jack fell like a rock.

It had been petrifying! The most productive thing Jack could do was pray he'd land on something soft.

He did not. Of course not, that would be too fortunate. Jack had wacked into a castle, bounced off the parapet, and crashed onto the cobblestone pavement. Frost burst from his staff when he struck, filling the street with early winter.

Needless to say Jack had a few bruises. As the paralyzing effects of the laser wore off, Jack painfully regained control of his muscles. Inspecting his skull for dents, Jack glowered at the night sky.

The Wishing Star twinkled innocently. The Man in the Moon was chuckling.

"My life..." Jack reached for his staff. "...sucks."

"Hey! Look! Snowflakes! Frost!"

Jack's heart jumpstarted; someone had shouted look and frost in the same sentence! Wild with hope, Jack spun on his bottom as an army of Fantasians appeared.

"Snow!" A flock of pre-teens ran to frosty perimeter. Oblivious to Jack, they started playing in the snow. "Snow in September! Maybe tomorrow we'll have a snow day!"

"This is so cool!" A girl wearing a red Hawaiian T-shirt and Bermuda shorts cupped a handful of snow. She packed it into a walnut-sized ball. "Stitch! Catch!"

"Who do you think made it?" asked a bear cub. "The snow's only right here, in this small circle. It's not falling from the sky! And it's not falling over there! It's only right here! How'd it do that?"

"Dunno Koda!" shrugged the girl. She started chasing Stitch, a blue koala-alien mutant. "Maybe it was Elsa! Nani said Elsa makes snow!"

"I don't think it was Elsa." disagreed a blonde boy. He studied the frosty cobblestone. "I think it was someone else!"

Jack turned. "Who?" he asked hopefully.

"Who?" The girl asked at the same time.

The blonde boy smiled. "It was probably Wendy."

Jack wilted. Crestfallen, he listened as the blonde boy was derided.

"Wendy?" Koda licked snowflakes from his paws. "Michael, you're just saying that cause she's your sister!"

"No!" Michael pointed. "The snow's coming from the ground. Not the sky! Plus -Fantasia just celebrated the first day of Fall! Maybe Wendy's happy we had a party on her birthday! Lilo -"

Anxiously, Michael beseeched the girl. "Lilo, you think it's Wendy, don't you?"

Lilo grimaced at Stitch. "Sure Michael." she forced a kind, but unconvincing smile. "Sure, of course I do. Betcha Wendy just wanted to say aloha."

Stitch snuffed. He waddled skeptically into the snow.

Lilo was clearly dubious. But her halfhearted encouragement seemed sufficient for Michael.

"Right." Wistfully Michael rubbed the cobblestone. "I bet she did."

Jack watched. Although he was devastated the children could not see him, something about Michael made him sadder. Michael looked so forlorn amidst his excited friends. As Lilo and Koda frolicked, Michael just stared at the cobblestone. It was almost like he was waiting (and wishing) for something to happen.