Chapter 148: Growing Up

Wendy dreamt that Peter couldn't catch her. She dreamt that she was falling from the sky.

When she awoke, Wendy was in the Underworld.

"Peter? Peter where are... no."

She was laying in her old bed, dressed in her old clothes. Shadow was curled under the mattress. Pixie dust glowed in glass jars. Big B.E.N. reverberated across the steampunk metropolitan, signifying the midnight hour.

Everything had returned to normal. The realms had closed. Nothing had changed. Wendy felt the same old loneliness spreading inside her, exactly as it had long ago, when this whole adventure started...the night when she woke from a very bad dream.

Wendy sat at the edge of the bed. Shadow stirred as her feet touched, but made no other movement as Wendy strode to the window. He waited for Wendy to find her usual spot at corner ledge, cuddle aside the dark glass, and cry. But Shadow was surprised when she stood to survey the panoramic view.

Wendy appraised her realm. Arms crossed and head high, she assessed each milestone and found room for improvement. Every achievement had untapped potential, especially with the resources of Seaworld, Skyworld, Outerworld, and the Otherland.

King Arthur had been right: realm separation was a barrier, but inter-realm collaboration was necessary to make Fantasia strong. And with an ambiguous Black Hole opening into Fantasia, King Arthur would especially depend on his guardians to fortify the planet. 

The guardians must work together – even if they never saw each other again.

Wendy rubbed her heart. It hurt a little. Actually it hurt a lot. And oh goodness, how dearly she wanted to cry! But then she saw her wedding ring...a tiny sparkle on her finger, distal to her magical needle, spool, and thread.

"Well..." Wendy sighed, managing a small (but genuine) smile. "Time to grow up."

Wendy Darling did grow up. She accepted her fate, said a little prayer for Ariel, Peter, and Jim, then squared her shoulders to the Underworld, determined to rattle the stars.

"Come along Shadow." Wendy opened the window.  She ascended the ledge. "We've got a lot of work to...Pips?"

Wendy backtracked as Pips bobbed before her window. He tipped a mail-carrier hat in one hand. With his other, Pips waved an envelop. It was addressed to her.

Wendy didn't know what to say. So she repeated herself. 

"Pips?"

Pips crisped the envelope.

"Hiya toots!"