Chapter 145: Father of the Bride

Peter was not picky insomuch as he was demanding. Like a child, he had specific tastes. So when Peter said "I want a big wedding" the demand was met. Everyone was invited. That is, everyone but Tinkerbell and Captain Eric. Tinkerbell had been jailed (for one week) for conspiring with Pitch. Captain Eric couldn't attend because Ariel said so. Girl with a trident – always best to obey.

The Darling-Pan wedding was incredibly short noticed, but their friends were incredibly prepared. Ariel and Astrid made Wendy's wedding dress a priority, and Jim had already supplied Peter with her ring. That is, he supplied the Wishing Star fragment. Peter supplied the rest – he used a cloud's silver lining for their wedding bands.

Oh yeah. All clouds have a silver lining. Skyworld perk.

The rest was easy. King Arthur and Queen Amalthea donated their castle for the wedding venue, Vinny's Flower Shop donated flowers, Tony's Restaurant donated food, Aladdin donated Prince Ali DJ Services, Lilo took pictures, Rapunzel did hair, Schmendrick decorated (Merlin supervised), and Hiccup promised dragon-fireworks for the reception.

It was an upbeat day. The whole kingdom was excited.

The whole kingdom...except Jim.

Jim's excitement was overshadowed by two details. First, the realms were closing; by tomorrow the guardians would leave. And second, the Darling Pan wedding was moments away; Wendy was leaving him too.

"This is not the end." Sarah assured, weaving through the wedding party. Wendy and Peter hadn't 'themed' their wedding, but everyone had dressed along the green-blue spectrum. Jim scanned the bridesmaids for Ariel, but she was missing – likely to help Wendy prepare.

"Marriages bring families together." Sarah continued, leading Jim to Wendy's designated dressing room. She smiled as Edna Mode emerged from inside. "Not split them apart. You and Wendy have a tremendous bond. Have faith in that, sweetheart. Wendy wouldn't lose you for the world."

Jim nodded, but remained cynical. "Sure. Whatever. Don't really care, I just want her to be happy."

"Then I would stop worrying." Sarah dictated. "Because Wendy likes things just so. And she won't be happy without you."

Jim nodded again, but this time distractedly. Ariel had emerged from Wendy's dressing room, and her baby blue strapless was mouthwatering. Her hair was unchanged (loose, a little wind swept), but her expression was extra sparkly. Jim wondered why she was glowing, but it didn't matter. When Ariel finally reached him, Jim had fallen in love ten times over.

"Hey babe." Jim and Ariel embraced. As Sarah departed, Jim traced Ariel's neck. Captain Hook's scale-shaped scars bumped beneath his fingers. Jim darkened. For once he agreed with Peter – Captain Hook was a dirty rotten codfish. And if he was still alive, he needed to die. For real.

Ariel nosed into Jim. "What's the matter, grumpy gills?"

Jim refocused. "Nothing. Just..." Fingers interweaving, Jim spread Ariel's arms. "You look gorgeous. Unbelievable. I thought the maid of honor wasn't supposed to outshine the bride."

Ariel swayed joyfully, pleased with the compliment. Still, with a secret smile, she ushered Jim inside Wendy's dressing room. "Wait till you see her, Jim. She's...well just wait till you see her."

Jim's stomach fluttered at Ariel's hint. But when he saw Wendy, his breath disappeared.

"Wen..."