29 | slowing

2 9

S L O W I N G

The sun shone brightly as I basked in the glory of the morning rays. My hospital bed faced the window and thus, the sun rays hit me every morning, giving me an optimistic start to my day (which always quite didn't end on an optimistic note).

A quick knock on my door was heard and I quickly sat up straight. I felt definitely weaker than usual. It almost felt like my body was giving up on its own and I had no say. Shaking the thought away, I smiled and looked up to see who it was that entered my room.

"Elle, baby," my mother squealed in joy of seeing me and quickly, engulfed me in a warm hug. Dad followed her behind with a bouquet of yellow tulips in his hand.

"Mum, Dad," I smiled. I was glad to see them. Maybe, they were the hope I needed right now.

"Thought we'd visit our favorite daughter," Dad kissed me on my forehead and sat on the chair next to me while mum sat on the edge of my bed.

"Dad," I laughed, "I am your only daughter."

"That fact doesn't make you any less favorite of ours, sweetheart. Don't worry," he pressed further on the joke and mum rolled her eyes.

"Well, we came to tell you that we've called everyone later today to spend some time together. Around lunch, okay?" Mum informed me and I looked at her confused.

"Why?"

"Thought you'd like it," Mum said without any hesitation, like she had practised that line so many times over and over again.

"I do," I held my mum's hand in mine and smiled. "I genuinely love the plan. A small get together sounds great."

"It's on then," Mum confirmed once again. "That was all, I guess, darling. Your dad and I will spend more time with you in the evening. We got some work left at the store, okay? You'll be fine on your own, right, sweetheart?"

"Yes, mother," I rolled my eyes. "I will be fine. Don't you both worry. You can go back to work. No one's going to kidnap me." Mum looked at me in hesitance as if she doubted whether she really wanted to go back to work. Dad's teary eyes told me straight that he didn't want to leave me all alone.

"Guys," I raised my voice. "For real. I will be fine."

On that confirmation note of mine, my parents decided it was safe to leave me to myself and my thoughts. They left the chocolates there and I was stuck in a dilemma whether to take one or not.

After much thoughts, I decided to take one which was followed by another. . . and then another till everything was done with. Oh well, it was meant for me either way, I tried justifying with myself over the guilt of completing the entire box.

I sat on my bed for minutes together all alone till I was completely bored. I called Penelope immediately as soon as I realised I reached my peak.

"Can I be taken to terrace, here?" I asked her, feebly.

"Why, dear?" She asked me immediately. Penelope was always concerned and maybe that's why I never lost the care here or felt like I didn't belong here because as much as I hated to say it, I did. I did belong here more than anyone else. I was sick. So fucking sick.

"Just wanted the fresh air, Penelope," I said, pressing my lip together and smiling, in a hope that my pathetic attempt at being cute would drive her to remorse and sympathy and would eventually take me to the terrace.