21 | merrymaking

2 1

M E R R Y M A K I N G

"Luke," I whined, "Where are you taking me?"

"Keep asking, Ellie. I'm not going to be telling you where we are going anytime soon," he roared out laughing.

"Lunatic," I mumbled under my breath.

"I heard that, love," he forced a smile and glared at me.

"Because that is exactly what I wanted you to hear," I rolled my eyes at him.

"You're pretty much sarcastic today." Luke stated as he looked at me with concern. I probably scared that guy out of his wits with my extreme usage of sarcasm today.

"Did I scare you, Fletcher?" I cooed and pulled his cheeks. Annoyance spread across the pretty features of his face and I cooed further.

"Elle," his voice laced with a very certain kind of warning.

"I'm sorry, okay. I'm sorry. I was just too annoyed at the fact you're surprising me, again," I exclaimed, raising my hands in defence.

"You might hate me all you want for this surprise but I need to do this," he spoke.

"Luke," I called out to him with confusion and a very tiny bit of fear within me. He turned to look at me for a moment and then looked straight and continued driving.

"Where are you taking me, Luke?" My eyes had widened by then. I could hear the festivities and noise and celebrations. My heart was beating against my chest like it wished it could runaway too. I knew this kind of sound from anywhere. This was exactly what gave me my very nightmares.

Luke parked his car very smoothly and got out of the car. Opening the door for me, he gestured with his hand for me to get out and said, "We've reached."

"I am not leaving this car," I mumbled with a firm determination.

"Amor, don't be stubborn. Come on. It's just a fair - a carnival."

"Exactly. It is a carnival. A goddamn fair. You know how much I hate them; how much I fear this very thing," I yelled, out of complete fear.

"You want to live with that fear your whole life?" Luke looked at me, exasperated.

"What if I do? It's better. Why, anything is better than entering that," I pointed towards the fair. I folded my hands and Luke had a complete look of dismay. I was being adamant. I was being difficult. I was being a major asshole to Luke who just cared for me but nothing and no one can make me go there, again. Not to the fair. Never to the fair.

Luke, exasperated, glared at me and then, sat down on the ground, facing me. He didn't speak a word and I looked at him with confusion as to why in the world he ever sat down on the ground.

"Luke, honey, we can leave. You're not going to change my mind," I told him.

"You can be determined in your decision. I'm going to be determined as hell too in mine," he said, plucking the grasses, absentmindedly.

"Luke..." I whined.

"It's just a fair and I'll be with you too. What do you have to fear then?" He spoke. The gentleness in his voice returned and wasn't I relieved. The pissed Luke did scare me often.

I looked at Luke for few minutes, trying to decide going into the fair was a good idea or not. A second later, I maundered, "Fine. If and only if you'll stay with me by all means. We are also not going anywhere near the giant wheel, alright?"