20 | unexpecting

2 0

U N E X P E C T I N G

"Home sweet home," I exclaimed.

Luke and I landed back in New York that morning and it felt nostalgic back again. Greece gave us a leisure and exposure which we craved for more than anything. However, deep down no matter what, it will always be home that one yearned for eventually and we were no better.

"It's the airport, babe," Luke laughed at the relieved expression pasted on my face as soon as we stepped out of the international airport.

"I'm nevertheless, home. Yay," I jumped around and did a bit of impromptu dancing. I was homesick. You couldn't blame me. After all, rarely had I ever been away from New York. New York was home and it absolutely loved me.

Pftt, everyone loves me. Especially Luke. Shut up, brain!

"Come on now," Luke laughed and gently tugged me to the baggage counter. I giggled and hopped beside him.

"I wonder if that air hostess added something in your food."

"Why do you ask, Luke?" I smiled and looked at the glossy shimmering tiles that reflected back at me. The airport was buzzing with the people who landed from flight 7658 at the terminal 18. Parents, kids, youth and lovers. Buzzing with love for what they had in common - New York.

"You're high. I wonder what they gave you," Luke looked at me, seriously and tried to sound very concern. I pressed my lips and smiled slightly.

"I'm high on love for my city," I exclaimed and threw my hands in the air.

"Gross."

"Shut up. Don't you dare insult anything about New York. It's New York," I gasped at the guy standing next to me in black jeans and a white shirt.

"More gross," I narrowed my eyes at him and leant forward. His eyes widened, probably wondering what I was to do.

"Don't," my voice lowed down. "You," I pulled his collar to pull him nearer to me. "Dare. Insult," I clenched my teeth, praying that I looked grimacing enough. "New. York."

Jab. Whack. Jab again.

"Ouch. My shoulder!"

"You deserved it," I whipped my head and smiles innocently at him. "Come on. To the baggage counter!" He laughed and walked quicker to keep pace with me.

"Honestly, love, you cannot blame me for hating New York," Luke spoke up few minutes later. We had our baggages and suitcases in our hands and were walking to the exit now.

"Back story?" He nodded slightly and looked at me. His head tilted slightly as he looked at me and his lips parted. He almost looked tumblr worthy.

I gleamed with happiness. "Story time, right?"

"If you say so." We walked further and out through the exit. A car stood out waiting for our arrival. Getting comfortable in the car, I waited for Luke to begin his story.

"You know that my sister died – suicided – here. In our house in New York. Not anywhere else but here in New York. I've no clue how one can stay in a home that reminds you so much of a person whose death you're trying to cope up with. Cathy died here in New York and I blame myself, the vibes and the people here. I was too New York-ish maybe. Maybe I changed —"

"—Luke, I'm not doing this with you over again. You must understand, you are and never was at fault," I sighed. Luke somehow never believed that small fact. Maybe he still edged himself and sharpened the knife he was going to kill himself with, with all the hurts and regrets. He was an innocent and he always was.