13 | shopping

1 3

S H O P P I N G

"We've run out of milk, Elle. Go, get some, would you?" I looked at my mum longingly, hoping she would go to the market herself. My mum stood next to the refrigerator with her arms folded. She raised her eyebrows at me, in an intimidating manner, threatening me to go.

"Okay." I huffed, annoyed. She smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up as I looked at her, confused. "But why?"

"Simple. No milk. Take the car, if you want but be careful." I dragged my feet to the door and walked out, leaving my mother smirking in the joy of succeeding in sending me to the store.

I went to the nearest supermarket to my home. I walked around the air conditioned place for few minutes and then, went searching for milk. It wasn't very often that I went to the store to get some thing. I looked over the stack of fresh stuffs and found none. Looking over the necessities, I realized my efforts were in vain. I then roamed around here and there still in a hope to find that carton of milk. Finally, in the corner of dairy section (smacking my head for not realizing it would be there), I found my milk, with no fat content. I felt goofy, staring at the milk carton for a long time. I turned, grabbing the milk carton, and walked away, heading to the billing section.

"Elle." A familiar voice called out just a s I was headed to the cash counter. I stopped and stood transfixed in the very same place. I turned to stand face to face with her - Victoria Hughes. She looked at me, happily and waved, "Hi."

Her heartwarming reaction confused me nevertheless I waved back and replied, "Hey, Victoria."

Victoria Hughes was known for her ability to lure people, both boys and girls. She knew how to wrap people around her fingers. Ferocious and golden headed (she hated being called a blonde), Victoria Hughes was the female version of a playboy and she didn't give a damn. She knew that no matter what she was portrayed as by the society, her own friends and loved ones would never mistake her for being rude and brash. It was true. Victoria, though having an uncountable number of flings, was a sweetheart and kind. Few reasons why, it surprised me to know that Victoria ditched me when she found out that I had cancer.

"It's so good to see you here, Elle." Victoria gushed. Believe it or not, I felt weird. It did not feel like a normal encounter with an old friend. It was different. Probably the thought of her leaving me and never turning back scarred me to an extent that she felt like a complete stranger.

"I wish I could say the same, Victoria." I muttered as I looked down on the floor. She frowned and looked very sad which made it pretty sure that she heard what I said. Her reaction was normal but what still surprised me was that she acted very same; as if I didn't possess a terminal disease.

"We have a lot to catch on. It's been so long." Victoria returned to the same old jovial mood quickly. She laced her hand on mine - the one that held the carton of milk.

I hummed, "Yeah." She walked with me to the cash counter. As I paid for that carton of milk, I realized Victoria, in the end, bought nothing.

"Can I drop this at home and then?" I asked her as I pointed to the carton, my voice still displaying confusion.

"Yeah! I'll come with you too." I walked out of the supermarket and got into my car with Victoria next to me and drove to my home.

On reaching home, I placed the carton on the breakfast table and called out for my mum. Victoria sat on the couch meanwhile.

My mum walked out of her room and precisely proved that I shared her genes. "Tori, my dear, what are you doing here?" Her voice hinting a bit of anger. Victoria, being the ignorant one, spoke confidently after turning to face my mother, "Ah! Vanessa-" She stopped for awhile, probably pondering if calling my mum by her name right now would be a right choice. "I just met Elle at the store and I was so glad. I missed her so much and wanted to talk to her. So I did. And yeah, we have got a lot to catch up on in each other's life."