Chapter 50: Heir to the Throne

Chapter 50

The moment one went down, another rose up and took his place. It was chaos.

There was a vampire for every wolf and many more waiting in the wings. I took out as many as I could; aiming for the head every time, but the beasts were getting smart. They dodged as many as they could and had even gone as far as to return some of Malik's wayward arrows.The last one missed him by an inch and that was only because Kaio had been vigilant and had acted quickly enough in pulling him out of the way.

 I had no doubt in my mind that it was only a matter of time before they decided to make their way up to our perch. I was already almost out of ammunition by the time the pain in my shoulder started up again. It had first began as an ever-present ache and had gradually graduated to something that could no longer be ignored.

I pressed my hand lightly against my skin and tried to massage around the area. My fingers came away bloody. With obvious effort, I pulled off my shirt and tore down the center, before tying it around the wound. Blondie was a damn fool for deciding that I go without a bandage anyway.

"You alright?"

I looked at him. "Fine."

He didn't look convinced, but he also didn't push it and I was grateful. I didn't need a mother hen worrying over me right then. "I'm out of arrows." He explained as he lowered himself onto the ground beside me. "They just keep coming."

"We have the advantage with the wolves on our side. That, and they're in unfamiliar territory, but you're right. Kandane really thought this one through."

"It's you he wants you know." he said ominously. "He wants Rien to suffer and the easiest way to do that is to get his hands on you."

My eyes narrowed. "I'm aware of that. Sounds like this is your subtle way of telling me to give myself up."

His eyes flashed to mine. "Don't be ridiculous Tony."

I chuckled despite myself. "You sound just like him, you know that?"

He frowned. "Like who?"

"Rien."

He frowned. "Don't insult me."

I laughed. "Giving myself up wouldn't solve anything. Kandane would get what he wants and there's no telling how the rest of this war will play out."

"What if we were to run?"

"Run." I tested out the word.

"It won't make you a coward. It's a smart move."

I shook my head. "Even if it is, I wouldn't get very far anyway." I placed a careful hand over my wound.

Malik's expression transformed into what I could only describe as unease.

I watched him for a moment. "Why are you here Malik?"

"I told you why." His voice betrayed his frustration. "You're my brother. I'm here because of you."

"Why do I get the feeling you're lying to me?"

"Why would I lie? What reason could I possibly have? Think about it Tony."

"Alright. You say we're related and that could very well be true, but that doesn't change the fact that you're hiding something and I want to know what it is."

He regarded me with a cool expression. "You know what your problem is?"

I fought hard not to roll my eyes. "No, but I'm sure you do."