Chapter 18: The hunted.

Chapter 18

 “He hunts the wolves? Is he mad?”

My surprise evident, it was the very last thing I expected to hear. This was…this was truly madness.

“I cannot say whether he is thinking clearly or not, but we cannot allow this to continue.” Jorlon said, his eyes downcast.

“What can he possibly hope to achieve? The beasts are relentless when they have been wronged, and they are greater in number than our entire species.” I could hear the outrage in my voice and I could feel it bubbling within me.

“Only our father knows his own mind. We can only hope to find a way to dissuade him and of that I have my doubts.”

“You know him well enough to understand that once he has chosen a path, he cannot be discouraged from it.” Marcan continued.

“Then what course of action can we possibly take?” Jorlon questioned him and Marcan stood, moving silently across the room, where he bent and picked up his cloak.

“If the wolves catch wind of Father’s plan we can surely expect a war…a war that we will lose brothers.” He slipped the soft material over his shoulders, then turned to face us once more. His eyes shone with determination and regret.

We knew his solution without his spoken words, and the thought alone was too much the fathom.

Jorlon stood. “He is using the wolves’ allies to single out each pack’s weakness. We managed to warn our far land brothers in time so that they could flee, what if we were to continue doing so. Surely it would make a difference?” Jorlon seemed to be pleading.

“It was pure luck that allowed us to learn that our far land brethren were allied with the wolves, the chances of such good fortune occurring once more is unlikely.” Peitre explained.

“Then we have no choice.” I said quietly. “Father’s death is the only way to secure our continued existence.”

Marcan nodded. “It is the only way.”

“Then it shall come to pass.” Peitre finished. I watched as he too stood and pulled on his cloak, Jorlon followed suit.

“What of Kandane? Is he to know of our plan?” I questioned and Marcan’s eyes shot to mine.

“No. He is more like our father than you know. He cannot be trusted.”

“Then how do we succeed? He will certainly turn against us should we put an end to father’s reign.”

“Then I fear he too must meet his end.” Marcan said simply and I stood.

“No. I refuse to harm our brother. We will make him see reason.” I suggested.

“And if he does not?” Peitre asked.

I looked at each of them in turn, they could not possibly be prepared to live on without him.

“I will not harm Kandane. I would sooner see us plunged into war than watch my brother die.” I said with a finality that rang as clear as a bell in the silence.

Marcan pulled the hood of his cloak up so that it covered his face. “Then we shall find another way.” He said. “Come brothers, let us hunt, we have postponed custom long enough.”

He was out the door in a heartbeat, leaving only the brush of the wind as he passed, and soon the others followed. I pulled on my own cloak when I alone stood in the dark room, and then I too was one with the night.