Chapter 49: Target Practice

Chapter 49

~Five years prior~

The little fool.

I could not understand how he had managed to survive for so long before we found each other. He was so prone to disaster, that I often wondered if I were tempting fate every time I chose to rescue him.

I turned to him now and fought to stifle a sigh. "Why are you doing that Tony?"

He continued to watch me, eyes narrowed in concentration as he trained his weapon on my head.

"I had believed that human children were taught not to play with guns." A small black cat passed between us in the quiet alleyway, and he broke his concentration only to watch it pass. When he glanced my way again, he frowned.

"Come on Rien, aren't you just a little bit scared?"

I raised a brow. "Scared for you or scared for me? Be specific Tony."

Finally, with a great sigh of frustration, he lowered the weapon and placed it carefully into his pocket. As he did so, he mumbled to himself, and I looked to the moon.

My meeting with Zahir was fast approaching.

"Stop your mumbling Tony. You know how it vexes me."

He sighed. "If you'd show even an ounce of fear just once I'd feel just a little bit better about the world."

I frowned at his nonsense and spared the moon another glance.

"Why can't I come with you to your meeting?"

"It is a sensitive matter. I cannot have you interfere tonight."

When I looked back at him, he was leaning against the wall, with his meagre arms crossed before him. "I won't interfere. You won't even know I'm there, I swear."

"Ah, but I would know you were there my love, for you would no doubt make yourself known in some clumsy way."

He rolled his eyes and I ventured to continue our pointless conversation. "Where did you procure that weapon? Perhaps you should return it before you do something that will no doubt cause you a great deal of pain and me, a great deal of annoyance."

Tony shrugged. "Lifted it off some gang idiot. He probably doesn't even know it's gone." He shook his head, then smirked. "Amateur."

"Hmm."

"Next time Sunny and them mess with me, I got my little insurance policy right here." He patted his bulging pocket and grinned.

"Is that so?" We both looked toward the entrance of the alleyway to see the said Sunny and his gang of ruffians approaching us. It was evident from the fact that I had not been aware of their approach, that my mind was indeed elsewhere this night.

I looked to the moon once more. Zahir would be delivering the package in but a few short minutes. He was competent and I had no doubt that he would arrive without cause for worry, but this was a delicate matter and I would rest easier if the package were in my hands.

Beside me, Tony withdrew his weapon for all the see. "Don't even think about it Sunny." He trained the weapon on them, though his hands were shaking badly. "You come even one step closer and I'll put one right between your eyes."

The others were not impressed. Sunny snorted and stepped more than a few steps closer. "You won't do it wimp. You've always been nothing but a little pussy."

"Your language leaves much to be desired." I told the ruffian and he shrugged. "Why don't you beat it pretty boy? Me and your friend Tony here got some beef to settle."