Chapter 12: Plans and Schemes

Chapter 12

His desperation to get back into my good graces was obvious but his betrayal, however unintentional, was still thick in the air and seeing him so soon after his dismissal had my anger bubbling to the surface.

As I descended the stairs I watched as the drudges allowed him entry into my dwelling place and when they left the room he stood in its centre gazing up at me, hands fidgeting before him as he awaited my descent.

“I take it you have forgotten my recent warning.” I said when I came to stand only a few feet away from him.

He took a breath, then another, before speaking. “I apologize Riener and I understand you have no interest in seeing me, but I have news that I believe would suit you to be made aware of.”

“Is that so?” I glanced around the room and in a few short strides I was seated quite comfortably on one of the many love seats that the place contained.

He did not follow.

“Yes, it regards your father, I have heard that he means to lead a team into the far lands. He wants to raid their coven and take their acreage by force.”

“I am aware of my father’s plans, it seems you have wasted both our time coming here to speak your leader’s business.”

He seemed crest fallen and for an instant I felt a strange guilt burn through my chest, but it was gone just as suddenly as it had come.

“You are aware of what he means to do and you do not wish to retaliate?”

My eyes narrowed.

“You wish me to lead a rebellion against my father?”

“Of course not I merely-“

“You wish me to throw our coven into war and chaos Thames?”

“No my Lord…Riener, I am simply concerned for the well-being of our flock…should there be response from the far covens, we stand to suffer. We are not large enough, neither are we well equipped to take on even a few angry covens. Your father needs to be stopped!”

“It is that tongue of yours that will lead to your demise. You use it without thought and the implications are always great. Have you relayed this to another?”

He swallowed, then shook his head.

I nodded. “Very well…I would advise that you keep it that way.” Then I indicated the door. Leave me.”

“Riener, you do not seem to understand the urgency that is warranted here. Your father means to set out in but a few hours to wreak havoc on our brother coven, why does it not t-“

I sat up straighter. “Hours? He intends to go tonight?”

A quick nod.

This was exactly what I had feared, though I hadn’t expected my father to move so quickly, especially given his commitment to my mating ceremony. I pushed up from the love seat.

“You may leave.” I instructed before turning on my heels, taking the stairs two at a time.

When I arrived at the door of Tony’s bedchamber I knocked softly before entering, catching him in the act of pulling on his shoes. He glanced up at me in briefly before turning back to his task with obvious disinterest.

“Ready?” he asked, trying the final knot and straightening so I could see his face.

I already regretted the thought of disappointing him especially at such a crucial point in time.