Chapter 26: Low spirits all 'round.

Chapter 26

~Rien’s POV~

My eyes followed him as he paced the room—back and forth, back and forth until I became dizzy and had to look away. I understood his anxiety because it was something I felt myself. Our future, our livelihood and our continued existence as a coven depended entirely on the decisions we made today. It all rested on our shoulders and with each passing minute the burden seemed to grow heavier.

I crossed my legs and strategized in my mind, but only one path was clear to me and I knew my brothers would not approve.

“Jorlon would you stop with your pacing, it’s giving me a headache!” Marcan shouted, but Jorlon didn’t slow.

 I imagined he was trapped in his own mind...too worried and desperate to remain in the present as he tried to find a way out of our current predicament.

“With every day that passes our time dwindles…we need to act now.” Peitre said softly and for a moment I glanced at him.

He sat by the window, staring out into the yard below. More than any of us, he looked worn—beaten. Father’s actions had already started to take its toll.

“I agree, we must act now, while we have the opportunity.” I told them and Peitre glanced my way.

“It is easier to speak the words than it is to do the deed.” He said and I nodded.

“I have racked my brain for weeks and I do not see how we could end his life without facing serious consequences. The coven would be in an uproar and Kandane will have our heads.” Jorlon finally paused long enough to say, and once again I nodded.

“You’re right of course, but short of framing another after we have done the need, I see no way to proceed. He is always surrounded by his most loyal warriors—day and night he is with them and Kandane is also never far behind.” Peitre continued.

“And let us not forget our own father’s cunning. He himself has been made leader for a reason. He will not be easy to trick, nor will he be easily killed and I myself am no match for him.” Jorlon finished.

“I have taken all these things into consideration.” I told them and  Peitre raised a brow.

“And what conclusion have to come to brother?” Jorlon asked and I looked him straight in the eyes.

“You will not like my answer.”

He scoffed. “Nonsense! Any answer that will do the job will have my favor. Speak brother. I grow tired of my own helplessness.”

I looked to Jorlon, to Peitre and finally to Marcan and they all watched me with interest.

“I have decided to fight with the wolves. It is the only way to guarantee our success.” I told them in all seriousness, but Marcan laughed and the others simply stared at me as if I had gone mad.

“I would not tell jokes at a time such as this,” I said. “Father cannot be made to see reason and if we fight with him this coven will fall.”

Marcan shook his head, his gaze piercing in their intensity. “Your plan is flawed. Our aim is to protect this coven, how can we protect our people if we choose to fight against them?”

Jolron nodded.

“We can, if they choose to stand with us. I will take a stand against father. I will speak to our people and have them decide who they will fight with. I have no doubt many of them will see reason, but for those who do not…then they are just as crazed as our father and we do not need those thinkers in our coven in any event.”