Chapter 17: While you were away.

Chapter 17

I stared at the screen, eyes wide. Who would have thought, the asshole was rich.

Billionaire tycoon Malik Laironov makes yet another surprising takeover bid.’

For a second I stared at the title, then glanced down at the picture just to make sure it was the same arrogant Malik I knew. He looked different with his expensive suit and perfect haircut. I scrolled down the page, skimming through his many business deals and acquisitions, then closed the link and clicked on another.

If he’d seriously sent me down here to read about his success, I’d strangle him while he slept. I closed the link and entered another, then another, and another, before I cursed under my breath and turned to Kaio.

“How the hell is reading about his business ventures going tell me why he’s here?” I asked in annoyance. The asshole was probably just messing with me.

“Perhaps it is not his business that you should be focused on.” Was all he said, and for a second I just looked at him, further annoyed by the secrets he hid along with the rest of them.

I turned back to the screen, eyes skimming the title of each link, before I took to the keyboard again and typed the words into the search bar.

When in doubt, choose Wikipedia.

I scanned the page, passing over the career section and jumped into his personal life. There was no mention of any kids, wife, partner or otherwise. He was born in Russia, to some wealthy parents, who died in a car crash on his twenty-second birthday.

He had a younger brother who was kidnapped from the family home when he was still only a toddler. He and his family had moved to America; land of the free when he’d turned eighteen and he gave regularly to charity.

A real saint. I thought scornfully, and closed the dead-end link. Once again nothing to tell me why he was here. Which meant this had been a complete waste of time. The asshole really was only messing with me.

I turned back to Kaio. “You wanna tell me what I’m missing here? Or are you going to continue bullshittin’ me like everyone else?” I questioned seriously.

Kaio seemed torn, and I watched the many emotions flit across his face before he masked them and shook his head. “It is not my place to say.”

“Jesus Kaio for once can you just forget about duty and help me out here?” I threw up my hands in exasperation.

“This is not about duty. It is simply not my secret to tell. Surely you must understand.” He tried, and I pushed up from my seat and turned to face him.

“I’m in the dark here and I don’t trust this guy, so I’m asking you as a friend to shed some light on him…please.”

“Do not put me in such a position Tony. I would like to think I am worth trusting. If you are a friend as you claim, then you will stop asking me to butcher my own honor.” He said seriously and I shook my head before turning to leave.

I could sense him following close behind me, but neither of us said a word as we walked across the room and out the door. Once outside, I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my jeans, and kept an even pace as I walked. Vamps stared as I passed them, many with scorn, few in curiosity, and I stared right back, refusing to turn away from the obvious challenge.

Assholes.

“You should avoid provoking them.” Kaio said behind me and I snorted.

“They should avoid provoking me.”