Chapter 32: My promise to the world.

Chapter 32

~Five years prior~

I could feel his gaze on me despite the fact that my eyes were closed.

“Why must you always stare?” I questioned him and opened my eyes so that I could see his expression.

He smiled. “Habit I guess.”

We lay in the very center of my bed, the sheets twisted beneath our naked bodies. All about the floors our clothing lay, thrown there the night before and forgotten during our time between the sheets.

Now he lay with his head on my chest, his eyes on my face and his smile as soft as his heart. A heart I could see shining through his orbs as he watched me. It had many times left me speechless, and I wondered if I would one day grow accustomed to it.

“Are you busy tonight?”

I raised a brow “The morning has just come yet you question me about the night?”

“Yeah.” He answered easily. “I was thinking I could stay here tonight.”

“You remained here last night.” I reminded him and he sighed.

“Come on RiRi, you know how they get. Why do you always make me go back?” he asked in distress as he sat up.

“I will not get involved in any squabbles you have with your parents. I have told you time and time again.”

“Foster parents—”

“No matter, they are your guardians nonetheless.”

Another dramatic sigh. “Are you gonna be busy or not?”

I could sense his annoyance brewing just below the surface. “Careful Tony, soon you will have me thinking you entertain me only for the shelter I provide away from your parents.”

He rolled his eyes—a habit I disliked. “Sometimes I just want us to spend the whole night together.”

“Did we not do so last night?”

“Yeah but not often.”

“I have obligations. It is not often that I can entertain your presence here at nightfall, which is the very reason I give you as much of my days as I can spare.”

He said nothing, but he looked miserable as his fingers trailed a path from my chest to my navel and back.

“Noah says it’s only a matter of time before you leave.”

I let my gaze roam over his face. “You should not take Noah’s word as the gospel. Every time you listen to him you get yourself into compromising situations. One would think you would have learned by now.”

His mouth tightened, but his fingers continued their soothing back and forth trail. “Sometimes I feel like I’m gonna come over one day and you’ll be gone…just like that.”

I frowned. “You are simply allowing your friend to put these ridiculous thoughts into your head.” I told him. “Cast away your doubts Tony. I would not leave here without you.”

He glared back at me and I wondered what I had said to raise his temper this time. “I have a mind of my own Rien. Why do you always have to treat me like some damn kid?”

“If I were treating you like a kid you would not be naked in my bed right now.” I assured him, but it only seemed to upset him more and I sat up when he cursed under his breath. I watched him make his way off the bed and across the room, where his clothes lay in a pile and continued to watch as he pulled on them on hastily.

I wondered if I would ever grow accustomed to his quick temper.

“Where are you going?”

He glanced up at me with a characteristic frown “Noah’s.” and he turned to go.

 My eyes narrowed and I was off the bed and blocking his path in an instant. “You will do no such thing.”

His glare met my own. “Let me pass.”

“Noah’s recklessness knows no bounds. There has never been a time you have not found yourself injured in his presence. He is no good for you.”

“Let me pass.”

I gritted my teeth. “I swear, one day he will be the death of you and I will rip out his heart myself.”

He flinched at my words, then balled his hands into fists at his side. “You don’t get to hurt the people I care about.”

His voice was low and tinged with a seriousness I never knew he possessed.

“Should his recklessness put you—”

“I can count on three fingers the number of people who give a shit about me and I won’t let you hurt them.”

“And should there come a time when you lay dying and my blood can do nothing for you...all because of the friend you care so deeply for…then what? What would you have me do?”

“You can turn me.” he said with conviction.

“Never.”

His mouth tightened. “Then you can watch me die, but you don’t mess with the people I care about.” He said adamantly. “Promise me.”

“I cannot.”

He grabbed hold of my arm and his pleading eyes caught me. “Rien please.”

It was a moment before I could answer, but when I did, I was clear and certain. “I promise you that should the actions of anyone harm you to the point where I shall be expected to mourn you, I will rip them apart.”

His hand dropped from mine and for a moment, I saw the hurt and disappointment in his eyes, before a flash of anger took over. He said nothing, only ducked under my arm and out the door. I could hear the angry pounding of his feet on the stairs and not long after, the slamming of the main entrance door.

I crossed the room and took a place by the window so I could watch him cross the yard and when he exited the gate, he slammed that too.

My little ball of fire.

I shook my head. There was little I would not do for him, but this was asking too much. I would not allow anyone who hurt him to go on as though he did not matter. I would tear them apart and let them watch as their own blood stained the carpet at their feet.

That, was my promise.

                                      AUTHOR'S NOTES

JUST A LITLLE GLIMPSE INTO THE PAST.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT. LOOKING FORWARD TO POSTING THE NEXT CHAPTER!

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited.