Chapter 14: We need to talk.

Chapter 14

~Rien’s POV~

They were like little monkeys, swinging from branch to branch as we made our way through the thick forestry. I could sense their thrill, the excitement pumping through their veins and it disappointed me that they would find delight in what we were about to do.

Over the short period I had been gone my coven had transformed from the simple warriors they had once been into a savage lot. Their willingness to destroy the lives and homes of our fellow blood drinkers was telling and I questioned my father’s ability to lead.

Far up ahead I could see my brothers walking alongside our father, listening and nodding while he spoke. They were as much to blame for this as he was, but I suppose I was too. Had I been here living amongst my people rather than squatting in the world of humans I could have prevented all this.

I clasped my hands behind me, turning my head this way and that to survey the area. If my father craved land so much he could have taken this one. It was no man’s land, ripe and ready for the taking, but of course most of the time my father’s decisions were…unreasonable at best and I wondered how one so wise could make such foolish choices.

Around me, other blood drinkers walked and I guessed that the ones jumping around in the trees had something they wished to prove.

The fools. They would likely tire themselves out before we arrived, but perhaps it would allow our brother coven some leeway to freedom. Or they could use our weakness against us to harm my men and despite my unwillingness to fight the innocent, I could not allow our own warriors to come to harm.

“Get down from the trees.” I spoke softly and as expected one by one they all jumped to the ground, proceeding to make their way like the rest of us.

On either side of me walked two warriors, who had remained with me since the beginning of the journey and who ever so often would shoot me small glances. Three times now the one to my right had opened his mouth to speak and all three times he had changed his mind. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t getting just a tad annoying.

It was the warrior on my left who finally seemed to build the courage to say what was on his mind and even then it wasn’t particular interesting.

“It is truly an honor to walk alongside you my Lord, I am Hubris and this is my brother Paltin.” He said gesturing to the warrior on my right.

Their father must have been inebriated when he named then. I offered a short nod, which seemed to please them considerably.

“I have long wished to find myself in your presence my Lord. We both have.” Hubris continued and this time I merely listened halfheartedly.

After brief hesitation he went on. “My brother and I…we have put our blood signatures to your parchment sir, we will fight in your mating ceremony.”

It was only then that I really looked at the two. Each had large frames, perfectly capable it seemed, with faces that were pleasing enough to the eye. They seemed to make good warriors but really one could never tell without some skillful demonstration.

“You would fight your brother for a place by my side?” I questioned Hubris, whose chest puffed up with pride.

“I would my Lord, it would be an honor.”

“And you do of course realize that it is a fight to the death. You would slay your own brother for me?” I asked Paltin, who stammered out a response.