Chapter 13: Sleep deprived

Chapter 13

~Tony’s POV~

“You won’t have to defend yourself, I can hardly even step out of this bed without help.” He said gesturing to his beat up body, but I gripped the knife still and my eyes narrowed as I watched him.

I didn’t trust him for a second. Using my heel I pushed the door closed, eyes still glued to him and he titled his head for second, raising an eyebrow as he watched my approach.

“Unless you didn’t take it with you to defend yourself. Let me guess, you came here thinking you would kill me.”

“I’m done thinking.” I said simply but the bastard didn’t even have the decency to look frightened he just lay there confident and smiling and it pissed me off to no end.

“You forget…I’m kaio’s mate. Hurting me will only hurt him.”

“What makes you think I give a fuck about Kaio? I killed him once without batting an eye, hurting his feelings is hardly anything to cry over.”

His smile grew. “Yes but that was before you considered him a friend.” He continued, then looked around the room, “And by the looks of it, he’s the only friend you have.”

I snorted. “Let’s cut the chit chat and get down to business.”

He gestured to the chair by his bed with a weak wave of his hand. “Then by all means.”

I chose to stand.

“Who are you?” and then because it was bothering me; “and what the fuck happened to your accent?” I continued. The first day I’d ‘met’ him his accent had been strong; a mixture of Russian, or was it German and French, now he sounded one hundred percent American and that more than anything heightened my suspicion.

He shrugged. “I’m good with accents and I told you, my name is Malik Laironov.”

“You say that like it’s supposed to mean something to me.”

A strange look glinted in his eyes but it was gone before I could decipher it. “It should actually, but we both know it doesn’t.”

 “Why are you here?”

Another raised brow. “Kaio rescued me, didn’t he tell you?” he tried to play coy, the little bastard and I cursed, taking another step closer to him.

“How about you stop with the games and tell me what you want? Who are you, why are you here and what do you want with Kaio?”

He sighed, an exasperated sound. Or was he just tired, I couldn’t tell. “I am Malik Laironov, here because your little vampire friend rescued me, but trust me Tony, what I want has nothing to do with Kaio and everything to do with you.” He said, shooting me a pointed look and I watched him in confusion.

“Me?”

“Yes. It’s always been about you, the reason I was on the frontline… I’m sure you’ve realized by now that I’m not actually a soldier.” He said “Obviously I didn’t expect to get hurt but…it was pure dumb luck why kaio found me. Now I’m exactly where I want to be…maybe it’s fate.” He reached across the bed and picked up the half empty glass of water, bringing it briefly to his lips before depositing it back onto the table.

“This doesn’t make any sense, what could you want with me?”

His amused expression died then to be replaced by something calm, gentle before a small smile spread across his face.