Chapter 58: Sweet Mary

Chapter 58

The morrow came quickly, and brought with it bright sunlight that streamed through the small crack in the window shades. My body and mind came awake slowly, and for but a minuscule fraction of a moment, I forgot that I had arrived home. A home which had been ravaged by an unknown enemy. A home that was now in mourning over the dead. A home that I was now expected to comfort.

"You literally just woke up. What's there to frown about?"

I turned my head to the side and spotted my mate sitting in the newly installed sofa by the window. In his hand, he held a large ceramic mug that smelled strongly of freshly brewed coffee.

"We do not store coffee beans inside the coven walls." I commented.

"And that's a damn shame." He took a sip "Is that another rule here or something? What's coffee ever done to you?"

"Not a rule." I began. "Blood-drinkers have a heightened sense of smell, and the scent of coffee beans is already pungent in its own right."

He raised a brow. "And?"

"Therefore, the scent alone feels similar to a sensory overload. It is not pleasant." I finished; wrinkling my nose in distaste.

He glanced at his mug for a moment, then his eyes settled on me once more. "I mentioned coffee in passing to Kaio at dinner last night and one of your other drudges made it for me a few minutes ago."

The corner of my mouth raised in a half smile of its own accord. "It seems someone has taken a liking to you."

He shrugged. "The drudge with the cute freckles."

"Ah. Mary." I told him. "She is the youngest on staff, though a great many years older than you I should add.

"So are you." He replied with a chuckle. "Is there a reason you're telling me this?"

I turned my eyes to the ceiling. "Informational purposes of course."

Tony rolled his eyes. "Of course."

"Since we will be here for a while, perhaps it is time you formed bonds with others here. Kaio will not always be there to entertain you."

"Why? Where's he going?" he asked with a frown.

"I simply meant that as my personal drudge, he has many duties to attend to. He will not be present as often as you would like."

"I'm a big boy Rien. I think I'll manage." He replied, before taking yet another sip of the offending beverage.

There came a knock on the door, and Tony set down his now empty mug. I could hear the drudge Mary taking unnecessarily deep breaths outside the door.

"Why did you lock it?" I asked him as he stood.

"Because not everybody needs to see what goes on in here. You should start locking it from now on."

"Nonsense." I waved away his words. "What is there to conceal? Intercourse is hardly an offensive act."

"I like my privacy." He said simply, but with a frown. As I lay there, I watched as made his way toward me in three quick strides and pulled the covers up and over my nakedness.

I laughed at his antics, and he ignored me as he made his way across the room and flung open the chamber door.

Mary's face flushed the moment she lay eyes on him; much to my surprise. "Y—Your meal, as requested Master T—Tony." She held the food tray towards him.