Chapter 4: Kaio's Patient

Chapter 4

Fifty-six

Fifty-seven

Fifty-eight

He had yet to utter a solitary word to me since I’d gotten back, instead he stood watch over me as he had been instructed by his master to do. He didn’t look particularly hostile or even at all put out by the fact that only hours before I had plunged a dinner knife into his heart.

Fifty-nine

Sixty

Sixty-one

My breathing was under control and my pace was steady as I counted along with each push-up while shooting kaio glances ever so often. Not once did he look my way and completely against my will I felt the ever present rush of guilt. I looked to the floor again, continuing with the exercise while trying to quash the unwelcome feeling.

Sixty-two

Sixty-three

Sixty-four

“You know, there are other things to do here rather besides tiring yourself.”

I froze mid push-up and looked up at him in surprise, fighting the urge to look around the room to see if he was talking to someone else.

“Why do you look so surprised? Did you think my Keeper would leave you without the necessary means of entertainment?” Kaio questioned, his head cocked to the side as he continued to watch me and I pushed myself up from my face-down position and moved to sit; legs outstretched on the floor.

“No, I’m just...surprised you’re speaking to me...” I trailed off, watching him suspiciously.

“Ah, you mean because you murdered me earlier.” He surmised and if the situation hadn’t been so completely serious I’d have laughed at how ridiculous his statement sounded. Instead I nodded slowly, then watched as he moved to take a seat in the chair facing me.

He crossed his legs, his posture perfect and his clothes unruffled. Then he turned his full attention on me, his expression unreadable.

“Holding grudges are for humans who have more emotions than they know what to do with. You bested me, which was shameful really considering your weak human frame, but it happened nonetheless and it cannot be undone. I am not angry, I have accepted it.” He said the words clearly, his voice controlled and dripping with sincerity and I shook my head. I would never understand these creatures.

I would have preferred him mad, or vengeful, hate I could deal with but this…kindness, this indifference only served to foster my guilt and I groaned, sliding across the floor so that my back was supported by the coffee table.

“Look I’m sorry I did what I did, I was pissed, you didn’t really deserve it and if you don’t give me good reason to, it won’t happen again.” I said grudgingly; expecting him to reject my half-baked apology, but I suppose it was no surprise that he smiled graciously and nodded at my words.

“Very well.”

His voice was calm and there was a warmth in his eyes I suddenly wished wasn’t. I shifted uncomfortably. It wouldn’t do to start liking the guy; I didn’t need friendship from my captors. What I needed was time to think of a way out of this situation. A way I could go back to headquarters and not be faced with the penalties that were surely awaiting me.

“My Keeper told me you are now allowed to journey outside, why is that?”

I scoffed, “Maybe it’s cause I’m not a flight risk anymore.”