Chapter 51: Clandestine Lover

Chapter 51

It was an even battle, none had the upper hand. Deaths were inevitable, but slow. Weapons flew through the air and immobilized their targets. The hunters were outnumbered and although I acknowledged their skill, weapons had no place in battle. True warriors fought with cunning and brute strength.

Marcan seemed to be enjoying himself as he ripped the heart from our enemy's chest and grinned; his own chest puffed with pride. I could not catch sight of Peitre, but I could hear the steady flow of his blood and the rhythmic beating of his heart somewhere beyond the edge of the forestry; no doubt engaged with his own opponent. Jorlon was perched in a tree not far from the battle grounds, watching the catastrophe in the courtyard. He was the only blood-drinker I knew of who did not appreciate bloodshed.

He caught my eye as I passed. "Do you feel it?" he mouthed and I nodded. Of course I felt it. It was all around us, like the cloying scent of perfume on unwashed skin. It was in the air. It was in my veins. I could taste it. His presence was like a soothing balm over burning flesh. It calmed me when I should be enraged.

Kandane had arrived.

I tipped my nose to the air and drew breath. He masked his heartbeat well, but there was no doubt that he was here. I felt drawn to him. I glanced at Jorlon, whose gaze roamed the courtyard. We were always drawn to him—even as fledglings. It was something I had never understood. "Where is he?" Jorlon jumped from his perch and came to stand by my side.

"Somewhere biding his time I assume."

Jorlon frowned; eyes still scanning the area. "I do not like this war. It is senseless. I do not wish to fight my brother."

"Nor I, but he has left us no choice. The wolves have given us safe harbor and as such, we have a duty to defend them."

"But—"

"This war is our doing Jorlon. Fight if you wish or remain hidden. It is your decision."

He said no more as he walked with me deeper into the yard. All around us the fighting continued. Blood was spilled, bodies quickly healed and growls rent the air. I spotted Zahir and Christophe fighting side by side in the square. It seemed at least one good thing was to come of this war. None approached us as we navigated our way through the carnage. In fact, the enemy melted away whenever we drew near and the sight disgusted me. Warriors should never be spineless. If you had the audacity to invade another's territory and massacre its people, you should do so with valor and perhaps even a pinch of pride.

"Riener." came Jorlon's reverent whisper. I glanced at him. He stood transfixed; his face tilted and his eyes planted on something behind me. I turned and followed his gaze, and for a time, I too stood transfixed, for Kandane had indeed arrived and he stood atop the world like a God watching over his people.

"It has been some time since I have seen him dressed for battle." Jorlon commented in a hushed tone. I had long ago grown accustomed to his robes. It was indeed odd to see him now; dressed as he was in full gear. It was testament to the seriousness of his state of mind. This was a masterclass blood drinker who had come prepared to play his part in the war he had orchestrated.

He stood with the confidence of a man who was already victorious in his efforts. There was a calmness about him too. Gone was the obvious rage he had displayed in our father's court. There was a calculating air to him now. Only a fool would underestimate him.

"I do not wish to see any of my brothers harmed." Jorlon continued.

"Nor I, but it is as inevitable as the day." I took note of Kandane's eyes. There was a strange longing in them as he gazed upon the courtyard. I saw in them his need and something else; regret. I followed his gaze and understanding dawned. He only had eyes for the hunter—Noah.