Chapter 1: Battlefield

Chapter 1

~Tony’s POV~                         5 years later

“Over sixteen casualties sir!” the private called out to me and upon my nod he ran over to the others to help them unload the bodies. I turned away from the sight to glance down at the map I held in my hands. Sixteen casualties in twenty minutes. It was time to move out.

I shoved the battered waterproof paper into my uniform pocket and made my way over to the corporal.

“Moving out in two minutes.” I issued and he was quick to act.

“Yes sir!” then he was off. I finished suiting up, gathering what I would need for battle, before turning to view the bodies once more. I knew every man lying lifeless in the dirt. I had spoken with and helped to train each and every one of them and now they were nothing more than corpses to be boxed up and sent home to their families.

“Sergeant, awaiting your orders sir!” the corporal called out to me and with a silent prayer to whomever had the decency to listen, I was tearing across the dirt and into the leading Humvee.

“Let’s go!” I banged the palm of my hand onto the metal door of the vehicle and we were off; once more trudging head first into a war we probably had no business fighting, but one we would risk it all to win.

………………………………………….

~Rien’s POV~

He was a brave one; my Tony. Having finally grown into the man he so desperately needed to be. I watched his grace, his poise, his now muscular frame which had once been wispy and the scars that ran haphazardly over his arms. He was perfect; just as I remembered. He issued orders like that of a king and the men followed them without question. He had changed as I had hoped he would.

I smiled even though I regretted the ancient sadness I saw etched in his expression as he gazed upon the fallen men, but as he always had; he would learn from it and eventually move on.

He’d become strong, responsible, dependable; finally someone I could take to my coven and be confident to announce as mine. I continued to watch him as he geared up for his war; ever diligent; ever ready. I had missed him dreadfully, but now it was time to take him home with me; where he belonged.

I threw myself from the rooftop, landing perfectly on another as I proceeded to follow the vehicles that were tearing up the old soil as they made their way to the front. All the while my eyes remained glued to his face; the determination set in his features fueled my own and I ran faster; aching to once again hold him in my arms and to hear him whisper the words of love that had been absent for half a decade.

“It’s time.”

…………………………………………….

~Tony’s POV~

“Fifteen miles” the driver announced and the conversation quietened.

 The closer we got to the sight, the tenser the men became and I urged them to make the best of the time we all had left before we were dropped into utter chaos.

I’d chosen to ride with them in the back; wanting to offer them my strength and direction. Some of the faces before me had never performed in actual combat and I could see the nervous excitement as well as dread on some of their faces.