Chapter 2: Vamp moods

Chapter 2

“Your pizza’s getting cold.”

I looked up at the offending creature with narrowed eyes and he stared at me with all the innocence of a young child. I shook my head and turned away, it was hard to believe that this was the same creature who had prevented me from escaping the day before.

If it wasn’t for the very sharp fangs that bared themselves whenever he spoke and the inhuman strength I’d have been out the door the moment Rien had left this morning.

“My keeper will be displeased if he returns and he sees you haven’t eaten.”

“Your keeper? What are you a dog?” I asked bitterly and as he’d been doing since the day started; he took my insult in stride, which annoyed me to no end.

“If that’s the best equivalent you can find to describe the duties of a drudge then I suppose I am...though I had thought humans were a bit more skillful in their use of the English language.” He said simply and I bristled.

“Then what are you? His lover? His little maid? What?” I asked again, throwing my hands up in annoyance and he smiled.

“I am his drudge. I perform whatever duties he sees fit.” Was his simple reply and my eyes narrowed.

“So you’re like a slave…so if he asked you to kill for him you’d do it.”

“Without question.”

I didn’t even know why I was making conversation with him. Gaining his trust was a pointless endeavor if I couldn’t use it to help me escape and with the way his loyalty to Rien ran; it would be next to impossible.

I pushed up from my seat and the creature’s eyes followed me as I made my way across the room and out onto the balcony. I’d go crazy if I had to stay here for much longer. I had responsibilities to my country, to my fellow marines; sitting here while completely healthy and doing absolutely nothing was a waste of time and of my training.

I found my anger at the situation rising again and I took a deep breath before propping myself up onto the ledge.

Rien and his little slave could go fuck themselves. There had to be a reason he’d come back after all this time; why he’d gone through the trouble of rescuing and healing me; then to have me guarded while he was gone.

I took it to mean that for whatever reason; my life, for the moment, was important to them, which could only mean that there wouldn’t be a threat of his slave killing me if I tried to escape.

I looked back at the slave in question with narrowed eyes. “What’s your name anyway?”

He smiled; something he did a lot I noticed and the more time I spent with him to more I wondered just how evil he could possibly be. “It is Kaio.”

“Kaio.” I said testing the name on my tongue.

“I’m told I was named after my father; though I cannot remember very much of my human life.”

“Really? You can’t be that old...when were you turned?” he didn’t look much older than me, in fact it was only his manner of speaking that gave any evidence of his maturity.

“Two hundred years tomorrow.” He offered and I assessed him warily.

 I still couldn’t get over how unchanging vampires were. The creature before me looked no more than twenty-seven years yet he’d lived almost two centuries. It was crazy.

“Did he turn you?”

“No. I was turned by a ‘familiar’.” He told me but when he realized I had no idea what he meant he smiled kindly and went on, “ A familiar is a vampire who is not of the master class; one of the common vamps who reside in my coven. Master class vampires rarely turn humans these days; one would have to be exceptional to be turned by one of the esteemed.” He explained and I hopped off the ledge and went to lean against the door frame.