Chapter 59: Brother Dearest

Chapter 59

~Tony~

I left Rien to his family drama. I had no interest in getting involved in their politics, and frankly, it was too good a day to waste watching them argue. I made my way across the garden and batted away the yellow butterfly that came swirling around my head like I was in some fucking Disney movie.

Okay, I could admit that I was a little annoyed by his brothers' sudden appearance. After all, ever since he'd plucked me from the Army I hadn't exactly given him a chance, and on our one good day we still couldn't find the time to get to know each other again.

I had no doubt that I had changed a great deal over the five years we'd spent apart, but this Rien wasn't much different from the Rien I'd known before (as far as I could tell). His was a comforting presence. I liked that he was familiar. I liked that he was consistent and unchanging. I liked that he was the same man that I'd met so long ago on the dirty streets of my home town; the same man I'd spent days stalking because I'd looked into his eyes and had immediately fallen for what I had seen in them.

"Your smile looks very sinister."

I glanced up when I saw Kaio coming down the path, and I pressed a hand to my cheek and rubbed. I hadn't even realized that I was smiling.

"I'm contemplating all the ways I can conquer the world." I told him with a chuckle, but of course, being Kaio, he took it seriously.

"Lord Riener shall be far too busy with the goings on of the coven to keep an eye on you while you attempt such an improbable feat." Then he looked me up and down slowly. "In any event, I cannot imagine you getting very far with such plans. Many blood-drinkers, who are far less delicate than you, have tried and failed."

I rolled my eyes. "I was kidding Kaio."

He placed his hands behind his back when he reached my side, and turned to walk with me back the way he had come. "How was your traipse through gardens with my Master?"

"We didn't get very far. "I told him. "So, pretty uneventful."

"Yes, I have been made aware of the fact that he was summoned to a court meeting. There are busy days ahead."

"Hmm." Was my only reply.

"How come you're not in that meeting? I thought your job was to stick to his side during all life altering events." Yes, I was still annoyed...and a little bit snarky.

"Drudges are not welcome to court meetings." He said simply, and I frowned.

"I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you once told me weeks ago that you were headed to a court meeting."

When I looked at him, he nodded. "Once in a while Lord Riener summons me to such meetings when he finds himself is in the mood to test his father's patience."

"Doesn't that put you in the crosshairs?" I asked, and Kaio smiled, looking particularly pleased with himself.

"No lasting harm will come to me here, for our leader knows that once he takes such action against me, he will lose his hold over my Master." I raised a brow and he continued. "It is what Lord Riener has threatened many a time in the past."

I chuckled. "Is that why you walk around here acting so self important?"

"No. I think my confidence may have much to do with my mate." He said.

"What do you mean?" We paused when we reached the end of the path, just behind Rien's place.

"He grounds me. He makes me feel as though I am more than just a lowly drudge."