Chapter 7: Before the court.

Chapter 7

~Rien’s POV~

Had I known this trip would have brought nothing but trouble, I would not have organized it and I certainly would not have brought my mate along for a front row view of the unapologetic whims of my coven.

Looking back I should have realized things had been too…quiet…after receiving three visits from adherents of the coven in under a month. Though I suppose that could not be helped; trouble would have found me no matter where I had decided to go, this trip only quickened the process.

The flight itself had been without any fanfare. After our brief conversation, Tony had fallen asleep, too tired to put up much of a fight against his heavy lids and for a while I had simply watched him. He had looked so peaceful in sleep and I had already become so accustomed to the ever present scowl on his face, that this new look had been thoroughly refreshing. Before I knew it, the time had flown and we had finally arrived.

I had hoped to re-introduce him to his hometown; the place where we had met, where things had been far simpler, the place where he had looked upon me with adoration rather than hate, with a smile rather than a frown. It was the place where his heart had not yet transformed into the mangled bits and pieces it now was, I suppose it was silly of me to think that it would have gone smoothly. These days nothing ever did.

I sensed their presence the moment we touched down onto the well missed soil of his home town and before the steps were lowered to allow us passage to exit the jet, the small space was invaded by none other than my brothers; Marcan and Peitre.

“Father has summoned you.” Marcan announced as soon as I came into his sight. There was no welcome, not that it had been expected.

“I fear I’m a bit busy at the moment, tell him I’ll drop in to see him in a few years.” I offered in a offhand tone. Kaio stood behind me, tense, as he watched it all play out. My brothers of course did not spare him a glance.

Marcan’s face reshaped into a mask of fury, as I knew it would. “I am not now, nor shall I ever be you messenger, father has summoned you and you shall do well to heed him.” he spat.

“Then don’t relay my message, it matters not.” I moved to pass him in the tight space of the aircraft when Peitre stepped in front of me, thereby blocking my path.

“It seems he has finally been made aware of the mate you have so poorly hidden from him. He desires a meeting with you both.”

If I had been such a man, I would have cursed in my most fowl tongue at his words, but as it stood, I simply watched him, jaw clenched and feeling quite a bit more than simply annoyed.

“You always were foolish, though I hadn’t quite believed you were so far gone as to have told Thames of your mate without expecting the entire coven to know of it.”

“Kaio gather the bags.” I ordered, eyes still holding my brother’s.

“At the moment you’re lucky father does not know that your mate is human. I would suggest you deal with that particular matter now while you have the chance because the moment he sets eyes on your little play thing the court will be in an uproar.” This spoken by Marlan.

“It’s as if you haven’t been listening. The court be damned, father can wait, I have prior engagements now if you would excuse me-“

Kandane, who up until this moment had been noticeably absent, stepped through the aircraft door and we all froze. “We did not journey here to request your company. You and the human will join us. Now stop this nonsense and let us be off.” He tone was firm and the look in his eyes called for absolute obedience. If I resisted any longer the situation would become worse.