Mini bonus Chapter

Bonus

~Years Prior~

The human child was stalking me again.

I had issued threats, lectured him on the dangers of his actions, insulted him at every turn and finally I had tried ignoring him whenever he approached me. Yet the human would simply not desist. He was a dull-witted imbecile I decided. Only one with a retardation of the mind could continue to act as foolish as he; of that I had no doubt.

I turned the corner and so did he. When I had first begun this journey he had tried his hand at some stealth, but as we walked on he had completely done away with the pretenses and now walked not far behind me, his worn boots crunching the gravel as he went.

I did not speak and neither did he, but there was a point where he had begun humming quietly, as though trailing behind a masterclass blood-drinker in an empty street at midnight was a soothing experience.  I thought that perhaps he had nothing productive to do and though it would not be a plausible reason to follow me, it was at least an explanation.

Weeks this had gone on for and still he showed no signs of disinterest.

A few times a week as I went about my walks around the town, I would simply hear the sound of his heart beating not far behind as he followed me. Months ago I would have simply ripped his little heart right out of his chest for his meddling, but now; ever since he had forced me to learn his name, I could not harbor a violent thought against him. Perhaps he was a sorcerer, for only a wielder of enchantments could have bewitched me so. Only a dabbler in the unknown could turn me from my own nature. Or perhaps I was simply a fool and he was just a stupid human child who knew no better.

I much preferred the sorcerer explanation.

"Can't you walk at a normal pace?" the human child called out, breaking the silence for the first time since nightfall.

"Why would I do such a thing?" I questioned without a solitary glance back. I did not know why I indulged in any conversation with him; it was neither healthy, nor sensible.

"It's hard to keep up with you when you're going so fast."

"I will not be blamed for the shortness of your legs."

I heard him release a sigh. "Are you actually going somewhere tonight or are we just going to walk around for no reason like you always do?" he had the audacity to ask.

I paused in the alleyway and turned to face him. "When I invite you to traverse the streets with me, then you may criticize what I do and where I go, but as it stands you are my stalker. I am an unwilling participant in whatever attachment you seem to have with me and as a result any criticism you may have is unwelcome."

To my surprise he chuckled. "Gimmie a break Rien. Unwilling? Really? If you didn't want me here I wouldn't be." He began with obvious delight, holding up his fingers as he prepared to count them. "You can run faster than I can, which means you could just ditch me. You're stronger than I am, which means you could just break me in half, and you take the same route every single night; if you took another one I wouldn't be able to find you, so you might as well admit that you like my company."

I shook my head and turned to go. "Perhaps I simply like the route."

For a while he said nothing as I continued down the path but of course the silence would not last with him.

"Seriously though Rien, what—"

"My name is Riener, speak it well or do not speak it at all."

"I'll stop calling you Rien when you stop calling me humanchild."

I took a quiet breath. He was persistent...this stupid human.

I turned left when I reached the end of the alley and continued on my way down the empty street.

"But seriously though, what's the point of this? You never actually go anywhere, you just walk."

I heard the rustling of clothes and I could imagine him stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jeans as he was prone to do.

"Do you believe I walk around aimlessly?"

There was silence for a moment and I wondered if the pause could be taken as hesitation or if he was simply considering my question.

"No I think everyone has a purpose." He said finally. "You do this for a reason, I'm just trying to figure out what that reason is."

I smiled despite myself. Oh this beautiful, foolish boy.

"And what is your purpose human child?"

He sighed. "I wish you'd just call me Tony."

Yes I could see it was something he desired; almost desperately it seemed, but I could not give him the satisfaction. If I indulged him further he would never grow tired of me and soon I would be leaving this town. I did not need to also leave behind someone who might actually miss me in my absence.

When he realized I would not be replying to his question, he cleared his throat and for whatever reason I found myself slowing in my steps to allow him to walk beside me.

"Maybe my purpose was to meet a vampire."

I glanced at him when he finally reached my side and his eyes met mine. "I doubt that is your purpose."

"Why can't it be?"

"Because it's not a very good one."

"Who says a person's purpose has to be good?"

"Hmm." I took a while to survey him as he watched me. "You are not like the other humans are you?"

He shrugged. "I'm special."

With not an ounce of modesty. Of course.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

JUST SOMETHING TO OCCUPY YOUR MINDS UNTIL I FINISH THE NEXT CHAPTER.

THANKS FOR READING.

LOVE YA!

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited.