Chapter 30: Human of the wolf pack.

Chapter 30

 I was getting inked.

It had been years since I’d voluntarily put myself under a needle and this was the first time it held any meaning to me. The names of my brothers…my family who had lost their lives on that fateful day out on the battlefield would be etched permanently over my heart.

 Every time I looked in the mirror I would see their names and I’d remember their bravery. I’d remember that these were men who had once lived and dreamt of futures they’d never get to see.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to touch my shit?” Beside me Noah bellowed at Christophe who stood somewhere out of my line of sight.

I tried to twist around without moving while Noah worked on the tattoo, but I still couldn’t see the devil. They’d been at it since sunset and the constant bickering was already getting to me.

“I merely wished to get a better appreciation of the instrument.”

“Ever heard the saying; look, but don’t touch?” Noah continued in annoyance.

“One needs to attune all their senses to an item in order to further understand its inner workings...do you know nothing? you miserable—”

“Jesus Christophe, can’t you just sit still?” I asked in exasperation and beside me Noah cursed under his breath but remained silent.

“Your friend knows nothing of how to treat his guests. Since my arrival I have been utterly ignored and left to my own devices...what do you suggest that I do if not acquaint myself with whatever fascinates me?”

Noah paused and glanced over at him.

“Maybe if you’d stop breaking everything you touch I’d be okay with it.”

“Do not tell tales. I have broken but one of your ridiculous instruments and had you not propped the thing so carelessly on the shelving, it would not have fallen.”

I ran a hand over my face. They were like two kids who just couldn’t get along.

“Touch one more thing in this room and I’ll break your damn hands myself.” Noah threatened.

“Ha! Do you really believe that your petty human threats have any effect on me. I could break all your brittle bones with a simple flick of my wrists.” He boasted. “It would suit you well to remember that.”

“And it would suit you well to remember whose place you’re standing in bloodsucker.”

I heard his scoff. “I assure you, had I known that this would be the place I would be expected to rest my head for the next fortnight, I would have repudiated Tony’s invitation.”

“No one’s stopping you from leaving.”

“I have been tasked with the duty of ensuring Tony’s safety, and in any event I would never leave him to endure your bloody company alone.”

I could imagine the arrogant tilt of his chin and I shook my head.

“Jesus Christ Tony, where’d you get this freak show?”

I heard something behind me shatter and in an instant Noah was out of his chair.

I sat up and turned around, glaring at Christophe.

“That one I broke intentionally.” He said with a smile. “Shall I wait for you to attempt to break my hands or should I take them to you.”

“Get the fuck out!” Noah blazed—pointing to the exit across the room.