Chapter 29 : In-flight

Chapter 29

For the most part, we’d had a quiet trip, both of us lost in our own thoughts and enjoying the passing scenery. Forty-five minutes this lasted, until he glanced over at me with narrowed eyes. His gaze was assessing as it fixed on my face and I raised a brow in question; wanting to know what was on his mind but refusing to ask.

“Perhaps you should not get too invested in the thought of a life with Lord Riener.” He commented at his own pace, and I rested my head back against the headrest and watched him.

“Is that so?”

“I can see that you believe this intervention to be an act of jealousy…and in some ways I suppose am quite covetous, however I say this only to save you from your own heart.”

“And this is an intervention?” I questioned in a bored tone and he crossed his legs.

“It is.”

 I shook my head. “Protecting me from my own heart...wow snowflake, never knew you cared.” I drawled sarcastically and he continued to watch me, unfazed.

“I do not believe I know you well enough to care, I am simply offering useful advice. Despite the postponement of the mating ceremony, when the time is right it will be continued and Lord Riener will be forced to take a mate. The fact that he fancies you does not mean he has any real choice in the matter.”

He said the words a matter-of-factly. There was no malice, no scorn and no amusement. He said it as though he were simply talking about the weather. “Any other words of wisdom you want to lay on me?”

He actually seemed to think about it and my annoyance grew. “No, I believe that is as much as I am willing to offer at this moment.”

I shook my head and turned away; my mood soured.  Maybe taking him along hadn’t been the best idea after all.

I ignored him for the rest of the ride, which wasn’t really hard since he didn’t exactly seek out conversation. His eyes were mostly glued to the window when we finally reached human civilization, and I took the time to let my mind drift while I had the chance.

Not surprisingly, I thought about Rien and how life with him had been ever since I’d decided to somehow make this work, and even the possibilities scared me shitless. He hadn’t really changed much in the years we’d been apart, except that , if it were even possible, he was more attentive, far more willing to compromise and clearly desperate for me to forgive him.

He was the same Rien, it was only me who had changed. I didn’t need his constant protection like I used to. I was now a realist rather than an optimist…the time for dreaming had already passed, and now I had an independent mind, rather than needing to defer to him on everything.

Rien didn’t get that though. He saw me as the same kid who used to trail behind him and treat his every word like the gospel and I think that in some ways, he wanted that kid back.  I propped my chin in my palm and watched the buildings disappear.

It was crazy how the mind worked, for years I’d managed without him. I’d bitched and I’d moaned, but in the end I had managed to suck it up and move on and just a little over a month he was back in my life and all that time we’d spent apart just went through window.

After years of thinking I was better off, here I was missing him after having left his side for a measly forty-five minutes.  I glanced down at the screen of my phone then shoved it into my pocket so I wouldn’t be tempted to look yet again.

 My mind and my body fought against logic and it seemed logic was forever losing. Some nights I woke up shaking, my mind never refuting the possibility of a repeat of the last five years, and every time I thought about it, my fear grew.