Chapter 36: Soon it will pass...

Chapter

~Rien’s POV~

“We will strike when the moon is full. While my father holds court with his trusted few and while he does not expect it.” I spoke and they listened; the wolves and my brothers, hanging on to my every word as though what dripped from my tongue were the fruits of wizened thoughts.

“We will need to visit upon him with an army. Otherwise he will retaliate without thought.” Marcan added and I was in agreement.

“You say you can seek out the help of your lycanthrope allies.” I spoke now to the Alpha and his Beta and upon their affirmation, I continued. “Then you will need to make haste, for even as we speak, my father prepares to descend upon you.

“We’ll send word out to the other packs tonight. We’ll have an army when it’s time to make a move.”

I nodded.

“I will lead you inside the coven walls. We will be allowed to enter without question and my brothers shall lead you around the lands where you will surround them all. It is then that I will call upon my father and relay to him the situation.” I told them.

“Or we could just attack. Quick and easy. We’ll be in and out without much cause for concern.” The Beta interrupted.

“No.” I told him. “I will not allow my people to be slaughtered without first giving them the choice to join me.” I was firm, and on this point, he conceded.

“Alright and if your father doesn’t listen to reason, then what?”

“Then I shall try my hand at persuading my people to join me. They will be given two choices: Join me or flee. If they are foolish enough to accept neither, then of course it stands to reason that they will fight with my father, and if they do so, they will die.”

“Just like that huh?” The Beta interrupted once more. “You’ll just cut down your own people?”

“Would you rather they massacre your people? Slaughter your innocent and take control of your territory? Because I can assure you that that is what you will face if they are not dealt with.”

The Alpha shifted in his position at the front of the room. His arms were folded before him, his legs set apart and his expression hard. “And what about your father? I’m guessing if it comes down to it, you’ll want to deal with him yourself?”

I could not help but smile, though it was without mirth. “No. Do with him what you will. He is far from worth my attentions.” I told him. “But there will be one who will stand by him; my brother Kandane. You will recognize him from his resemblance to my brothers.”

“Okay, what about him?” The Beta questioned.

“He is not to be harmed.”

The Alpha nodded. “Then we’ll do all we can to make sure he isn’t.”

“Thank you, young Alpha and while you fight alongside us, we will protect your kind in any way we can.” I told him truthfully. “This war— if it does come to past, will not be without bloodshed, I hope this is something you have come to terms with.”

“War is war. It’s the same no matter how many time’s it’s fought right? Lives are lost and no one really wins.” The Alpha pronounced wisely and once again I smiled.

“It seems you have seen much war in your lifetime.”

He nodded. “I’ve seen my fair share.”

“Then it is my hope that you will live past this one.”

He nodded, though his expression did not change.