Chapter 46: The calm before the storm

Chapter 46

We stood in the courtyard among the wolves and my own brothers and listened to Zahir's tale. He described what he had seen at the coven when he had swept through with his company, and the news was indeed devastating.

"It seems he has garnered the aid of the Highland covens, for the battle was as large as it was great." He spoke. "I saw many of our own fall at their hands."

A great silence had fallen over the camp as we all listened to him. His words brought with it a sense of foreboding, and for me; a wave of anguish at what Kandane was doing to my homeland.

Father was right; he did not deserve to lead, for no leader would thoughtlessly massacre his own people.

"Did you see him among them?"

Zahir looked at me. "When I learned that the battle was his doing and enquired as to his whereabouts I was told that he had marched on with an even larger party; an army, they said."

"If that is the case, he should have arrived by now." I responded. "The fact that you were able to pass through these gates before he did raises the all-important question."

"Yes." Zahir nodded. "Where is he and what does this prolonged absence mean?"

I watched as my compeer tilted his head to sniff the air, but there was nothing amiss...not yet. Kandane would arrive the moment he wished to and no later. For now, we could only prepare for the inevitable.

"You look pretty calm for a guy whose brother is plotting to kill him." Grady, the Beta's mate spoke from his place by his lover's side.

"Kandane may be a fool but he would not kill his own brothers. Despite our differences we have always taken care of each other." Jorlon responded to the human, his voice sounding hurt by the very accusation.

The human snorted. "Well at least I can die knowing I've seen a fang-face in denial."

"Grady." The Alpha called out in warning, but the human only shrugged, a cocky grin plastered on his face.

He was right of course. Jorlon was in denial. He had not watched as Kandane struck down our mother. He had not seen the murderous intent in his eyes, nor had he witnessed the satisfaction in his smile as he had done it. He did not know Kandane as I did.

He would slay us all if he had a mind to...but not before he made us suffer. Not before he crushed the things we cared about the most.

What then did it say about my own sanity that I loved him despite his actions, and that I did not wish to see him hurt? Marcan would no doubt think it to be a weakness in me.

"They're bringing their army to tear us down, but an army can't stand against what we have." The Alpha spoke up again and I found myself smiling despite myself.

"We stand as the largest pack in the state." He gestured to his warriors, who stood taller when he said the words. "We have our allies from the Marcana pack who have come to aid us." He gestured to the foreign wolves who had arrived not long ago, lead by a small female with intelligent eyes, who nodded in acknowledgement.

"We have hunters on our side." He then gestured to Noah and his crew. "But more importantly, we have the determination of a group who fight to keep the ones we love safe." His hand moved to rest on the shoulder of the young wolf who stood beside him. "When a man fights for something more than himself he's ten times more deadly." He finished with a growl and the deafening howls that followed could no doubt be heard for miles.