Chapter 56: Damascus and Demetrius

Chapter 56

~Rien~

"Tell me what happened."

It was as though I were looking at a different person. Gone was the stoicism, the self confidence bordering on cockiness, his indifference and ever-present traces of anger. Now, he knelt by my bedside like a doting nurse, with his eyes filled with concern, his mouth tight with worry and his hands slightly shaking, as he pressed it against my forehead. It was a new and welcome change to see him concerned for my wellbeing, and perhaps I was enjoying it a tad bit too much.

"Will you stop the smiling and tell me what the hell is going on?" he asked. As predicted, the angry Tony had returned.

"I suppose I should not be surprised at the length of time that change was able to last."

His eyes narrowed, as I knew it would. "What change?"

I sat up in the narrowed bed, feeling a soreness in my body that was as alien to me as the exhaustion I felt in my bones.

"Never mind that. I trust you came to no harm at the hands of my brother and his companions?"

His frown deepened. "They chained me to a bed and talked my ear off. I think I have the right to classify that as harm." He mumbled in obvious anger, and I chuckled at his adorable expression, before reaching up to pat his cheek.

"My little ball of fire." I murmured. He pulled my hand from his cheek and glared at me in exasperation, but I took note of the fact that he did not release my hand, but held it tightly in his.

"Can you please tell me what happened?" he asked earnestly; his tormented gaze meeting mine. "I think you almost died Rien." His voice, though a whisper, shook as he said the words.

"The wolves cannot be trusted." I told him. "I am unable to offer proof, but I believe they may be working in tandem with Kandane."

Tony's brows furrowed. "What makes you say that?"

"The battle lacked authenticity."

"You mean because no lives were lost on their end?" he asked. "I've thought about it too but it's still possible. I mean, the whole thing didn't last very long anyway. Maybe they just got lucky."

He unfurled from his crouch and climbed over me to sit my my side in the small bed.

"No. This was no pathetic human war my love. A battle between beings such as us will always yield fatality. Moreover, it was too well orchestrated; as though each parry and blow between the moon children and the night children was planned in advance." I continued. "Furthermore, the wolves are well trained and well accustomed to raids, yet they were ill-prepared when the blood-drinkers came; it was as though the gates had been opened to allow them entry."

"Hmmm." Tony contemplated. "I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I'm starting to see what you mean."

I nodded. "Did you notice how quickly all fighting ceased when Marcan dragged Kandane's mate into the courtyard?" I asked, and he nodded. "In what true battle would such a thing take place? Wolves and blood-drinkers standing together to watch it all transpire? No." I shook my head.

"We stood and watched." He pointed out.

"We had a direct involvement in the event. What business would the others have had? They were merely warriors who should have been focused on tearing their enemies apart, rather than watching drama unfold in the courtyard."

"But if its true that they're working together, then what was the point of all that? Does a fake war even make sense? And wouldn't they know that people would see right through it."