Chapter 36. Little Secrets*

Chapter 36. Dirty Little Secret by the All American Rejects

"What are you doing here, Reg?" Evan asked, gingerly trying to turn over and sit up. She winced with the effort, so Emil reached out to help her sit up, tenderly wrapping an arm around her shoulders. He could see the red sparks in her aura, as anger laced through her weak light.

"Well that's a nice 'thank you' for coming all this way, Evan. The hospital called me to let me know you had some sort of accident and that you were very ill. They said I was the only emergency contact on record, but I see you apparently need to update your information," Reginald said, pointing at Emil. A look of utter disgust spread across his face as he registered the extent of Evan's injuries. "My God, you look awful. Did you get hit by a truck?"

"I am sorry you went to all the trouble, Reg. I am actually a little surprised you came, after our last conversation," Evan said flatly, pushing the button on the bed to raise the head of the bed. It hurt too much to have Emil's hands on her right now.

"Yes, well, I thought possibly you had considered what I had suggested and forgot all that hocus-pocus, and maybe you had asked them to call me," he said, pushing his glasses up his nose with the heel of his hand.

"Hocus-pocus? Is that what you call it? I am not even going to discuss this right now, but no I have not changed one bit, I am the same as ever."

The nurse chimed in, eyeing the newcomer, apparently trying to decide if she needed to intercede, and said, "Dr. Whitman, can I get you anything? Are you hungry yet?"

"Yes, I am starving, Kate," Evan replied to the nurse. She liked the young woman who was always on top of things and a very diligent nurse.

"Alright, I'll order you breakfast, and let me know if you need anything else," she said, pointedly looking at Dr. Menard. She turned and left quickly.

"Reg, look, obviously you haven't changed and I am not going to deny my gift. You can't handle it, and that is fine. I just refuse to listen to you talk about it like I am some sort of freak," Evan said, forgetting Emil sitting beside her momentarily, as she glared angrily at her old crush.

"I don't think you're a freak Evan, I just don't think you should talk about it, let alone use it in patient care. To me that is just ridiculous," he scoffed.

"See, that's what I mean. You don't understand that it is a very big part of who I am and how I do what I do. It's over. I don't want to talk to you about this. Not here," Evan said, putting her hand up to stop his next words. The motion hurt and she gasped. Both men in the room moved to help her, and she noticed how Reginald reluctantly withdrew when Emil was faster.

"Have you met Emil, Reginald?" Evan asked as she allowed Emil to position a pillow under her arm to make her more comfortable.

"We met last night," he said dully.

"What time did you get here?" Evan asked.

"A little after two a.m. What happened to you? Your friend here wouldn't tell me. He said he wanted you to tell me. If you want to," Reginald said petulantly, just as there was a commotion at the door.

"Evan, my God, what happened to you?" Dr. Smith boomed as he pushed his way into the room to stand next to her bed, opposite Emil. He reached down and grabbed her free hand, carefully holding it between both of his.

"Dr. Smith, I was just trying to ask her the same thing. How are you, sir?" Reginald asked, immediately in ass-kissing mode.

"Dr. Menard, what are you doing here?" the older doctor asked, with barely a backward glance at the man who had addressed him.