Chapter 68. It Ends Tonight*

Chapter 68. It Ends Tonight by All-American Rejects

Emil

Confusion plagued me as I looked to see where the gunshot had come from. I had released the trigger on my Glock when Arazel had turned and I saw the sadness on his face. Across the room from me, Steele clutched his chest as crimson blossomed under his hand. I glanced quickly to see who else wielded a gun as another shot rang out, barely missing me, and thudding into the wall over my head. Pierre had recovered from his beheading enough to be able to fire on us.

"Take him out," I shouted as I pulled Arazel into an arm-bar hold and began to lead him from the room. Hawk was moving before I spoke and once again Pierre lost his head. It would be comical if so much did not depend on our escape. I whispered in Arazel's ear, "I'm taking you out with us. Speak now if that is not what you want."

Arazel remained silent, allowing me to drag him along with me. Amahté roared in anger as all around Guardians were springing to action. Steele was staggering toward Pierre's severed head, to assist Hawk in separating the parts more. Luther cornered Benjamin, as the Elder had attempted to run when the shots rang out. Amahté seethed as I pulled his son away from him, toward freedom. I looked around to see who was still with me, finding Hawk now at my side, Steele leaning heavily on the doorframe, and Aiden, Hannah and Marie just beyond him.

Aristarchus had been beside Amahté, but was now advancing toward Benjamin and Luther, where they were in a standoff of sorts, neither giving an inch. It seemed that Luther might be having trouble going against the Elders. Saving him the trouble of having to make a decision, I fired two rounds of my silver hollow point ammunition in rapid succession. The first hit Benjamin in the forehead, and the second missed Aristarchus' heart by an inch or two. The Elders both screamed in agony as the silver burned through them.

Amahté laughed evilly and declared, "You two were never cut out for anything more challenging than finding the next meal! Good riddance!"

As Amahté neared them, he stared intently at the two Elders and suddenly they burst into flames, their cries of agony rising to shrieks of terror. Fear gripped me as I realized what immense power the Ancient One possessed.

"Come on, Emil! We need to get out of here," Hawk said, pulling on the back of my shirt as he backed toward the door.

Arazel began to pull against me. He said to me, "Let me go. I'll hold him off. You can still get away safely. I've been dealing with his temper for years. He won't kill me. He's mostly talk."

I did not believe him, as the rage I saw before me had me convinced all of us were going to be destroyed. The heat from the inferno caused by the burning vampires reminded me that fire was one of the only permanent exits for us. Little else worried me. I was certain if we all ran, we would burst into flames as well.

Seeming to understand my hesitation, Arazel yanked his arm from me and said, "He has to look directly at you. If you hurry, you'll be out of range. I'll slow him down and you can all get away. Just please hurry!"

Realizing this might be our only chance, I went with Hawk to the door. Unable to take my eyes from Arazel as he advanced on his father, the most powerful vampire in known existence, I felt sorrow for him.

Before Arazel could distract him, I watched in horror as Luther burst into flames and began an ear-splitting scream. I began to run toward him, but was grasped on both sides by strong arms. As I tried to shake off the restraint, Hawk said, "Malachi just checked in, and has returned. Evan is in trouble. We need to go now!"

That was all I needed to hear to forfeit Luther to his unfortunate fate. Purple smoke from burning vampire flesh filled the air, the stench of incense thick all around. Aiden was already at the base of the stairs, holding Marie on his shoulder, barely affected by her ineffective, thrashing attempts to get away from him. She had not quit yelling, despite Hannah trying to reassure her. We followed Aiden as he sped through the back corridor of the club. Steele began to fall behind, and Hawk and I grabbed him under the arms and carried him along with us. I fumbled with the earpiece for a moment.

"Malachi, I need you to take Aiden and Steele to the containment site. When we exit, Hawk and I will take Marie with us," I directed, my sole focus on Evan now.

"What about Hannah?" Malachi asked, a small voice in my ear.

Aiden answered, "She's with us. Meet us at the southeast corner, at the back of the club. That street is open and it's close to where the Rover is parked."

We continued down the corridor and at the end, turned a sharp left and came to a loading dock area. Just before the double doors there was a fire pull. I reached out and pulled the lever, hoping to cause enough chaos for us to get away in. The smoke would not be evident to the humans for some time with the fog machines spitting out smoke all over the dance floor. Immediately the deafening ringing of alarms sounded and strobe lights began to flash. Not missing a stride, our small group stormed through the double doors, and leapt onto the sidewalk. Malachi pulled up in front of us and Hawk handed Steele off to Aiden while I extricated Marie from his grasp. Malachi had reached across and thrown open the passenger door. In the brief glance I shot his way, I noticed he was all eyes for Hannah.

"Aiden, we will call you with the all-clear. I am trusting you to retain Steele until we can fully determine his allegiance," I ordered.

"Yes, sir," Aiden said as he pushed the wounded Guardian into the back seat of the Maserati.

I tossed the keys to Hawk as we ran across the street once Malachi had sped away. "You drive. I don't think I can."

Hawk only nodded as we got into the Range Rover.

"Where are you taking me, Emil?" Marie cried. I had pushed her into the backseat and followed her in.

"Home," I answered simply.

"What are you?" Marie said. Her eyes were huge in her pale face. Her body quaked with shivers as she huddled as far from me as she could. Hawk had wasted no time pulling away from the curb and speeding toward my apartment. His speed threw her against me as he took a corner fast. She tried to scramble away from me as if I had the plague. I reached out and pulled her closer to me.

"I am still the Emil you have known all these years. I will never change. Ever."

Tears ran from her brown eyes as she pulled as far from me as my grip would allow. "You're just like them."

Her accusing tone wounded me. "No, I'm not. I have done everything in my power to stop vampires like them since I became one."

My confession melted the last of her resistance and she crumpled into desolate sobs, limp in my arms. I was not quite sure what would happen. I was concerned for her sanity, as she had seemingly been mistreated for days at the hand of the Elders. I would have to eventually deal with her, but I had other worries.

"Hurry, Hawk. I need to get to Evan," I pleaded as I pulled my cell from my pocket and called Jean. When he did not answer, my concern for Evan rose. I tried calling Xavier. Again I got no answer. Panicked, I said, "I can't get anyone to answer, Hawk. Did you hear any more from Malachi?"

"He said Evan is in labor and she isn't doing well. That's all he said," Hawk answered softly, meeting my eye in the rearview mirror. "I'm going as fast as I can."

It was not fast enough as my mind raced through all the implications of Evan's early labor. The baby may not be formed enough. I would possibly lose my daughter. 'Evan isn't doing well'. That was the phrase resounding in my head. What could have occurred that placed Evan in danger? The minutes it took to get home seemed an eternity to me, dragging by more slowly than the entire last century of my existence.