Chapter 64. Karma*

Chapter 64. Karma Police by Radiohead

Jean and Malachi had succeeded in extricating themselves from the two women who had managed to blow their cover. As the two males had walked toward the door to the club earlier that night, they had gotten caught in the frenzy as the two young women arrived in a limousine. The milling throng had pressed in to see the local celebrities, but became too aggressive. Thinking their help would only be needed briefly while security pressed the crowd back, Jean and Malachi had stepped in to shield the two women from being crushed.

The kind gesture backfired as the aggressive young women refused to leave them once through the door. The attention the women received was multiplied inside the club. The males decided to use the privilege given the two young ladies to get more reconnaissance at the club. Unfortunately, Jean and Malachi were both very recognizable Guardians. Everywhere they went, people were snapping pictures with their phones and vying for the women's attention. Both were tall and thin, with long blonde hair. They were dressed very fashionably, and very scantily.

The women seemed to enjoy being the center of attention, but Jean decided to call it when the women began drawing more attention by draping themselves over Jean and Malachi, using them as obscene props. Jean could appreciate a beautiful woman, but he was not inclined to allow one to accost him publicly, making a spectacle of them both. The more he and Malachi declined the brazen women's advances, the more aggressive the women became.  That was when Jean sent the message to Emil that they had been compromised.

In order to get out of the spotlight, Jean and Malachi had lied to the women and agreed to take them home with them. Jean did not understand why such a promise would get the young women to comply. It was as they reached the exit that Jean felt a pricking at his neck. He had turned to see what caused it and met Bong-Li's hateful glare.

"We need to hurry, Mal. We've been spotted by Bong-Li. She'll know something is up seeing us here," Jean said to Malachi as they herded the women ahead of them, dodging groping hands and eager kisses.

Malachi was having more trouble with the promiscuous women than he could stand. Hurriedly he and Jean led the women to the bouncers.

"Will you help these ladies to their ride, please? We need to be on our way," Jean asked the towering black man.

"Hey! You said you were going to take us to your place to party!" the young blonde who had draped herself on Malachi cried.

"Plans have changed, ladies," Malachi said impatiently. "You can return to the club without us if you please."

The two women looked at each other and as one stomped away back into the club. Jean and Malachi listened as Hawk and Emil instructed them to abort their part in the mission. Frustrated, the males made their way to their vehicle. They had been inside for a very brief time, and it seemed a waste. They had barely made it to the vehicle at a human's pace when Hawk let Emil know his and Hannah's location over the transmitters.

Jean did not miss the tic that developed in Malachi's jaw upon hearing that Hannah was under a human male.

"Easy, Malachi. She is blending in the only way she can right now. What has gotten into you?" Jean said.

"Nothing has gotten into me! I just need to forget about trying to do anything but my job. When this is over, I need to go away for awhile," Malachi answered, staring into the distance out the window.

It was then that the cry went up that their friends inside had been spotted by Bong-Li. Jean did not understand what had happened precisely, but his first instinct was to return to his friends' side and help them escape. The two males were ready to head back in as they listened to the discourse between Emil, Steele and Luther, two of the unaccounted for Guardians.

As he opened the car door, Jean pressed his earpiece and said, "Emil! We'll come back to help! Hold them off!"

At Emil's response, ordering them to leave and to take care of his family, Jean cursed, "No, Emil! Merde! I will not leave you here! We are coming in!"

This time there was no response. Jean cursed more and made sure his comm-link was on, so everyone knew his displeasure at the situation.

After a few moments of allowing Tourneau to rant, Malachi said calmly, "Emil is right. Evan will need our help. He will get out if he can, but in order for him to do so, he needs to know his family is safe."

"I know!" Jean shouted. More quietly he repeated, "I know."

The two sat helplessly in the car, waiting for several minutes, hoping their friends would run out of the club so they could pick them up and speed them to safety. But as the open communication revealed, that was not to be.

"Damn it!" Jean cursed, pounding the steering wheel hard enough to crack it.

"Careful, or we'll have to walk home," Malachi said flatly.

Jean started the engine and pointed them in the direction of the apartment.