Chapter 9. Lingering Echoes*

Chapter 9. Linger by the Cranberries

Evan kept glancing at the man sitting next to her in the car through the curtain of her hair. She was still shocked at his sudden appearance, and wondered at his reaction. It wasn't that she wasn't grateful, just surprised at the intensity of his reaction to Dr. Thomas. She thought she should maybe feel more concerned with Emil Drozdan's appearance than she was. The drive lasted only a few minutes and she felt it was too short.

"We are here. May I walk you to your door?" Emil asked quietly.

"Yes. Please. I'm not sure I want to be alone yet. I'm too keyed up," Evan breathed, deciding she did not want to let her rescuer go just yet.

"Okay. Good. Just let me know when you want to be left alone." Emil said as he opened his door. Before she had a chance to reach for the door handle, he opened her door for her and held out a hand. She didn't understand how he moved so fast, she must be too tired and distracted by what had happened this morning to be paying attention. She looked at the smooth whiteness of his flesh for a moment and then grasped it. She remembered what he had said about her burning him with her touch. If he didn't want to touch her, he would not have held out his hand, she figured.

His subtle strength lifted her gently out of the car with little effort on her part, then she was on her feet facing him, still holding onto his hand. When she made to let go, he held on, seeming reluctant to let it go. She still could not understand the absolute nothing she felt when they touched, nothing but the cool firmness of him.

"Let me get my key," she said, in an attempt to offer an excuse for her hand's freedom. He let it loose and then turned to let her pass and walk up to the steps. She rifled through her bag, and came up with the key. She turned it in the lock, fought to push the door open and turned with a smile once she'd gained entry.

"Come on in. This time you're invited," she said with a twinkle in her eye.

Emil followed her into the foyer silently. Evan didn't quite understand the sigh as she walked into the living room. She threw her coat over the back of an overstuffed chair again.

"Emil, I still feel really dirty. Let me put some coffee on, and you can help yourself while I shower." Evan hurried into the kitchen and pulled out some mugs and a spoon.

He just nodded then said, "Where would you like me to wait for you?"

"Make yourself at home. I won't be long." She poured the coffee grounds into a filter then put it in the coffee maker and turned it on.

Emil walked slowly around the main living area, and into the dining room, inspecting the crown molding around the ceiling. He did not look her way as she passed him on her way to the stairs.

"Milk is in the fridge and sugar is in the cupboard above the coffee maker."

Evan ran up the stairs and into her room, shut the door and locked it behind her. As she made her way to the bathroom, she shed the clothes she had worn all night. She threw them at the fireplace across from her bed. She decided she would burn them. She did not want any reminders of the encounter with Matt Thomas.

Evan turned on the shower, stepped in and let the steamy warmth flood over her. She leaned her hands on the tile wall and just for a moment let her fear loose with a sudden shiver down her spine. Tears fell down her cheeks as she trembled, first afraid, then angry. Her tears were short lived once her mind moved to thoughts of the beautiful man downstairs who had come to her rescue. How had he known? Evan scrubbed her hair and washed, spending extra time on the place on her neck where Matt Thomas had touched her. When she was finished, she jumped out of the shower and quickly dried off, wrapped her hair in a towel, and threw on a pair of sweats and sweatshirt, and finished with a thick pair of socks. The old house was drafty.