Chapter 38. With Teeth*

Chapter 38. With Teeth by Nine Inch Nails

Evan was awakened by Emil's weight on the bed behind her. She opened her eyes and smiled. "Are you leaving me?" she asked.

"No! Where would you get an idea like that?" Emil said as he leaned around to get a better look at her face.

"I'm not sure, but you looked upset when your phone rang."

"We have a lot to discuss, and soon. How are you feeling?" Emil asked wryly.

Evan carefully rolled onto her back, catching her breath as her cracked ribs protested.

"I can fix that, you know?" Emil said, as Evan noticed the fire in his eyes burning bright.

"What do you mean? Do you know some old fashioned trick to help ribs that we new doctors don't?" Evan asked, trying to keep her moans and whimpers to a minimum, while trying to keep her sense of humor.

"No. I can make all of your injuries heal. Now," Emil said, his voice low, seductive, uncertain.

"I'm not following you, Emil...What? Do you mean..." Evan didn't want to say what she was thinking out loud, for fear it would make him angry. And it was quite possible the drug induced haze she was in had allowed her to imagine things.

In answer, Emil's eyelids dropped to Evan's bruised mouth. "I would never hurt you. I can do this and you won't even know it."

Evan's breath caught in her throat and her heart fluttered madly as he moved closer to her. She wasn't imagining things, Emil was really saying what she thought he was saying, and Evan had to clarify, "I didn't think you wanted me to be like you."

"I would like to say that I had a change of heart, but to be honest, I have been persuaded, rather convincingly, that this is the only option I have," Emil said, pulling away slightly from Evan. Her heart did not slow at all. "I have been informed that the 'powers that be' know about you. In our world, we are not supposed to keep relationships with humans without one of two intents: that you become our meal or that we intend to make you a vampire, in the case our existence becomes known. I have broken this rule, one of the most strictly enforced. Evan, I cannot go through my eternity without you, but I would not have you change against your will. I will do everything in my power to protect your humanity if you want to stay the way you are; I will run away with you, take you to the highest mountain, the driest desert, wherever it is that you will be safe. It is up to you. I must confess that I might change my mind if you hesitate."

"Emil, do it! Change me! I can't stand being in this frail, dysfunctional human body with my extra senses anymore. Make me like you, so I can be with you forever!" Evan said without hesitation. She turned her head away and exposed her neck, indicating she was ready. She didn't expect Emil's soft laughter. "What? What is so funny? This better not be a joke Emil! I won't ever forgive you if you're lying."

"No, my darling, it's just that you are so eager. I am serious. I could never joke about your humanity. There is something else you must know. You remember Nathan Clark?" he asked.

"Yes."

"I did not kill him, remember? I took him to the Brethren, to see if he could be spared. They allowed him to live."

Evan smiled, and said, "That's great Emil. I was so worried about what would become of him. What's the problem? Am I going to get to see him again?"

"Soon. It will be my responsibility to teach you how to be a vampire once you are changed, and even though he has been with the Brethren, they want me to teach him as well. Actually, I asked to be his teacher. I just did not realize I would have you both to teach at the same time. Thank God Tourneau has returned. We are going to be an odd little family, aren't we?" Emil asked as he looked longingly into Evan's eyes.