Chapter 14. I Will Fix You*

Chapter 14. Fix You by Coldplay

Emil

I drove my car into the underground parking in the office building that housed my business and an apartment of sorts on the same floor. I didn't need it for sleep, but it had its conveniences. I didn't like to take acquaintances to my farm house because I wanted to have a place of solitude. Even that hadn't mattered over the last decade, because ever since Jean Gault Tourneau had left, I had nothing to go home to. He had been like a brother and a father to me over most of the last nine decades. He had left me all of his wealth, knowing I would not squander it, he took only what he needed to travel with. He had not tried to contact me since he had left.

Although I had not been a solitary person when I was human, I had shunned most other contact once I had been transformed. Tourneau had spent countless hours regaling me with his lectures on the need to find a companion. He wanted to travel, having also been a Guardian for some time. Then there was the falling out between Tourneau and I, which was when he finally decided to leave. I'd been completely alone for a decade or so. He had wanted me to find a new partner or even to look for a mate, but I had decided against looking for any kind of mate after I could not have my sweet Anna. She was so young and innocent when I was turned to a monster she could never love. Maybe that was why I was so drawn to Evan. They did not resemble each other, but the same naiveté echoed in their eyes. I shook off the ache of her memory and tried not to think about her reaction the one time I had attempted to contact her after I had been changed.  The experience was enough to send her into a mental hospital. She never recovered and she died in the hospital many years later. I should have taken her out of her misery, but I was too guilty to ever try to contact her again.

As I tried to pull myself back into the present, my cell vibrated in my pocket. Evan's number was on the display. It was nearly noon. At the sound of distress in Evan's voice, I let her know I was only minutes away and I would come for her. Once again, a protective instinct in me I thought had long since disappeared reared its head.

I grabbed a gray sweater from the pile of clothes in the apartment closet,and changed into it as I retrieved my coat and keys to my fastest car. I rushed past the receptionist's desk silently. She didn't say a word, just looked up and waved. She was used to my erratic coming and going. I flew down the stairs faster than the fastest of elevators could have carried me and ran to a gray car parked next to my Audi. I usually didn't drive it in such weather, but I was ready to drive fast and far if necessary.

I sped the few blocks to the hospital, pulling up in front of the main entry to the hospital. I could see the terror in Evan's energy surging in gray and sharp yellow spikes through the glass. I glared at the valet who asked if I wanted parking service and he backed away from me at once, moving on to the next car in line. I hurried through the revolving door and went as fast as I could to Evan's side.

She looked up at me with crazed animal's eyes. Recognition flew across her face and she stood, trembling. Her façade melted when she saw me. I reached out and pulled her near to me.

"I'm here. You're safe," I whispered into her ear. Her tense body melted into mine as she reached her arms around me. This wasn't the place for us to talk. I pulled away from her slightly, aware of the glances from the volunteers manning the information desk and others in the lobby. I urged her to walk with me, half carrying her to the front doors. I lifted both of her feet off the floor as we went back through the revolving door, then swiftly deposited her in the car and got in my side, hating the slowness with which I had to move in the presence of humans.

She was sobbing when I started the engine. I thought of the only place I knew that was safe and secure, and drove there as fast as I could, hating every tear she shed.