Chapter 18. Blood On My Hands*

Chapter 18. Hemorrhage by Fuel

"Go home after this, Evan. I'll come to you when I am done here."

Evan only nodded again, and I continued pushing the gurney around the corner. Once we were in the elevator, I told the aide to get out at the next floor, that I knew where the morgue was. He nodded uncertainly, not quite sure he was doing the right thing, but I left him no other options but to obey me.

I had noticed Nathan's aura was swirling with many iridescent colors, trying to coalesce into awareness of what was happening to him.

By all rights, I should destroy him, like I had destroyed the creature that had bitten him. I struggled again with doing what I was supposed to do versus what I thought was right.

The boy was so young, and he would never grow in stature. He would be an oddity. He would eventually grow intellectually and become irate at the situation he was in. I would probably do him a favor if I destroyed him before he had an opportunity to become a wretched vampire child. It was an abomination.

Regardless, I was unable to just reach out and snap his neck. I was struggling with the reality of his soul. I happened to believe that we might still have one, that it could be redeemed. I didn't want to be responsible for extinguishing his. It was still so pure compared to the countless victims I had dispatched in my past.

As we hit the lowest level, the small, but lithe white body lunged up and he let out a screech similar to that of a lion cub. If it had been any other time, I might've laughed, but it was now, and I had to get him away from humans before he could cause any harm.

I grasped him around his torso, facing his snapping jaws away from me. He really couldn't do too much damage, but I didn't want him getting any stronger than a Newborn already was by taking in my vampire blood. As the elevator door opened, I saw a shot and ran for it. The double doors squealed in protest as I rushed through them. I was fortunate the glass didn't break. I climbed out of the alley and jumped from fire escape to fire escape until I was on the roofs over St. Louis, my captive making a horrendous racket. I leapt from roof to roof making my way toward the industrial area that housed the Enclave. I landed on the wide tarred roof of the warehouse, and entered the stairs, struggling with the thrashing boy-monster.

"Aristarchus," I called out loud, not able to free a hand to use my cell. I knew the elder could hear me. "Aristarchus, I need some assistance with a Newborn!"

I made my way into a large multipurpose room, which was used mostly for interrogation. Within moments I was joined by Aristarchus and two others, this time a male and a female, instead of the burly duo from my last visit..

"Drozdan, what do you bring to us?" Aristarchus' ancient eyes settled on Nathan's writhing form. He gestured to the two he had brought along and they gently but firmly took the boy from my grasp, avoiding his snapping fangs.

"This boy was bitten by the fiend I destroyed Saturday morning. I was lucky enough to hear about his status by an informant and retrieve him before the human world found out what he is. I know what the code says about collateral damage of a feral attack, but I am having a conscious objection to ending his life. I cannot explain my reasons, because I am not quite sure what they are."

The elder only nodded in my direction. "I will have to examine the boy and I will determine if he is to be destroyed. I will save your conscience this once. Do not make this weakness a habit. You will no longer be as effective for me if you develop a conscience. Do not mistake what you are...the weapon of our cause."

His words cut like a knife into my dead chest. I nodded once in reply and made for the roof. After his reminder of my purpose in this world, I was full of anger and despair. I leapt from the rooftops into the trees in the park near the river, then swam across swiftly, enjoying the challenge the strong Mississippi current gave me. I ran into the country and found a heard of deer. I hunted to rid myself of pent up frustration, to satisfy the monster inside, not because I was hungry. I only killed one.

I ran back toward the city, allowing my clothing to dry, then felt my cell vibrate. A miracle it still worked after the river crossing. It went to voicemail as I wasn't ready to talk to Evan. I tried to work out my feelings. I was so glad child-vampire abominations were rarely made, and had only encountered one such being in my century of life. She had been completely disarming. She had mastered playing a victim and sought out those who would help her. It was disgusting, the way she would draw them in and take advantage of their kindness. She hated being what she was, wanting to attract a mate, but even the most depraved of our kind were repulsed by the woman-child-vampire.

I slowed to a walk as I reentered the city near dusk. I knew I needed to get to Evan; I just wasn't ready for her onslaught on my senses, my pent up frustration and confusion clouding my judgement. I walked through the dark streets, listening for others like myself, looking for criminals who would meet their match in me. Tonight I was not to have any two-legged sport it seemed. It was getting later, and I listened to the church tower bells chime. It was seven. I had let Evan wait too long. I set off at a human's slow jog, so as not to startle those around me, back to my new friend.