Chapter 44. Never Alone

Chapter 44. Never Alone by BarlowGirl

Evan's last thought was how mortified she would be if Emil saw her being sick and losing the horrible fluids from her body. She did not want him anywhere near her if she was going to go through that. Then an indescribable pain wracked her body and her last thought was 'Not again', as she slipped into unconsciousness.

'So much for vampires being immortal and invincible', she thought to herself. Slowly, Evan experimented with moving her arms and legs to see if the pain would return. No stabs or lightning bolts shot through her as they had before. Evan opened her eyes and found that she was no longer in the shower but was lying in the bed she had slept in when she had stayed with Emil. She felt so tired, and the burning ache in her throat she equated with hunger was a constant irritation. She sat up as she recalled the events of the night. Rafael had crashed through a window with Bong-Li and ripped a hole in the bathroom wall. She recalled all of the images that had crashed into her brain when he had touched her; his hatred spiked anew when Emil had burst through the door. He was lying to Tourneau; she had seen his glee at having gotten into the inner ring of the Guardians via Tourneau and now Emil. He thought he had made a great discovery, a weakness for Emil: her. She felt sick to her stomach again, but did not think it had anything to do with the conversion, more to do with fear for Emil. Rafael wanted to kill him.

Evan dangled her legs off the side of the bed, weakness stealing her ability to move quickly. Just as she attempted to stand, Emil came through her door.

"Evan, sweetheart, take it easy. Until you eat, you're going to feel weak," he said.

"No kidding? I thought I would go run a race," she said sarcastically. "We have to talk. Rafael and Bong-Li are big trouble. I saw things when he touched me."

Evan sagged back on the bed. She could not believe that with all the strength she had acquired, she was reduced to this trembling mass. Emil quickly sat next to her, supporting her with his arm.

"You must eat before Tourneau and I have to leave to meet the Brethren. There are troublesome things going on here in Saint Louis and we have to prepare the rest of the Guardians to take action. That means I will not let you out to hunt for prey and I can't take time to take you out and protect you. Fortunately, Nathan is well fed, so I don't need to worry about him. That leaves one option. You will need to take some of my blood again. I can manage to hunt on the way to the city and replenish myself, but you need something in you now," Emil said. Evan saw his eyes darken in anticipation.

"You liked that?" Evan asked, also a little turned on at the thought of sinking her teeth into Emil again.

"Only if it is you. I've never let another have my blood, and I don't intend to change that. You are the only one I will share with," Emil said, as he pushed her back onto the bed. He then stood and in the blink of the eye shut and locked the door. "Tourneau is setting up our safeguards around the house, and you and Nathan will stay in our safe room in the basement until we return for you. I would lose my mind if anything happened to you, Evan."

"I don't want to be locked away somewhere not knowing what is happening Emil, you have to take me with you!" Evan exclaimed, terrified of being locked away in a room that was supposed to keep other vampires out. Obviously it would be able to keep her in.

"Evan, I can't trust the Brethren with you, I don't know who is on our side and who isn't. I've had my suspicions for some time, but now is not the time to test them. This is the only place I know you will be safe. Please trust me. I will come back to you," Emil said as he lay down next to Evan and braced an arm on either side of her to look into her eyes. "You have given me a reason to want to live this eternity."