Chapter 42. Karma*

Chapter 42. Karma Police by Radiohead

Evan sat cuddled under Emil's arm, not really paying attention to the conversation around her. Ever since she had touched Rafael, Evan had been filled with confusion. She really had not spent any length of time in the last twenty-four hours thinking about what had changed in her since Emil transformed her. She felt like herself, but different. Emil's stories about crazed Newborns ran through her head, making her think possibly she should have some uncontrollable cravings for human blood. Maybe she should feel violent or insane. But since the moment the awful burning sensations fell away from her body and she was overwhelmed with the fire of passion that rose between them, all Evan had felt was excitement.

In truth, Evan knew her strength was much greater than a human, and her senses were keener than she would have thought possible. As she allowed her mind to wander from her fixation on Emil, she tried to think about the things which seemed most important to her as a human. She thought of the garlicky pizza she had eaten here almost two weeks ago and the thought made her stomach churn. She then thought of the taste of Emil's blood, and the blood of the vagrant he had helped her find, and her mouth began to water. There was no ravishing blood lust overtaking her. Then she thought of her career as a physician. It was almost physically painful as she realized she would likely never be able to return. But, she thought, Emil was able to walk among humans and not be recognized as a vampire. Maybe she could too.

Putting her years of training to practice, Evan started a systematic internal self-examination. She listened for a pulse, but did not hear one, although a time or two, she thought she did. The harder she concentrated on hearing it, the less she was convinced she had heard anything. Evan flexed her leg muscles and felt a surge through her veins, realizing this is what Emil explained as the method of moving their blood through their bodies. Next, Evan quit breathing, knowing now she shouldn't need to breathe. Although the sensation was new to her, there was no searing pain that she expected with a lack of oxygen.

Emil turned with a curious glance her way then chuckled. "Are you experimenting, love?"

Embarrassed at getting caught, Evan smiled, surprised at not feeling her face heat with a blush, only a slight tingle. "Yeah, just trying to figure out what has changed in me."

Emil's humor changed to a slight sadness when he said, "I am going to miss your ready blush. It was so beautiful."

Evan wasn't sure how to take Emil's statement. She changed the subject, trying to bring his smile back, "Well, I may not be able to blush anymore, but I am certainly glad I can do all those other things for you that I couldn't do before."

She wagged her eyebrows suggestively, remembering some of the brazen things she had done during their love making discoveries. Emil smiled seductively, nipping a kiss at the base of her throat. He let out a low growl as Evan threaded her fingers through his hair and kissed along his ear.

"Later, Evan. I think we need to find out more about our housemates before we spend too much more time enjoying each other. And I need to find out more about where you are at with your conversion. This has gone more smoothly than I could ever have fathomed," Emil said, pulling away from Evan's exploring hands. "I can't believe you haven't had any negative effects yet."

"Mon ami, it is time to take young Nathan hunting. He has had some controlled exposure with the Brethren, but I was told he has never been out among the populace. We need to show him what is appropriate fodder for our dinner. Shall we? The hour is late and our best prey is at large," Tourneau said, loudly enough for Evan to realize they were being observed.

"Sounds like a good idea, better now than when we have a hungry teen on our hands," Emil said with a good-natured smile aimed at Nathan. "Give me a moment with Evan." As he opened his mouth to warn Evan to be on guard, he was rudely cut off by a yelling teen.