Chapter 12. Damned All Around*

Chapter 12. Typical Situation by Dave Matthews Band

Once I was assured that Evan was planning to take matters to the authorities at the hospital I knew I had overstayed my bounds. I had to leave or I was at risk of never going. Evan gave me her cell number, which I promptly committed to memory. Surprised at my internal giddiness at getting her phone number, I chided myself for acting like a love-sick teenager as I was going to the door to leave. Fortunately for Evan, this giddiness was taking the edge off my preternatural thirst for her.

I pulled my phone from my inner coat pocket and flipped it open, in order to enter her number into its memory. Before closing it, I noted the message icon blinking. I listened to the request that was left for me and was thrilled to have a target for the day. With a promising quencher for my raging thirst, I turned the car onto the highway and drove to the Illinois side of the river to follow up on the tip I had received of unusual activity. The trees sped by the windows as I drove through the wooded area I had been directed to. I parked my car in an area for hikers' vehicles, got out of the car and immediately could smell the cloying sweetness indicating the presence of another vampire. I had not come across this one before, our scents as distinctive as a voice or fingerprint for humans. I walked through the woods avoiding the foot trails carved through the trees from countless hikers. It was beginning to snow, and the time of year kept most humans from hiking, so this was an ideal hide out for something not wanting to be found. I walked quietly through the barren black trees, sniffing the air around me. I was getting closer. The snow-laden clouds cast a gray light through the leafless branches.

"I know you are here," I said in a normal voice. It could hear me. "Come out where we can talk. I don't mean you any harm if you are peaceful."

I waited alertly, listening to the expectant silence in the air around me. I was an expert hunter, but our kind are all skilled in evasion. I watched as a woman glided through the trees toward me. I knew she was the vampire I was seeking by her scent. Her aura was lavender sensuality and shot through with dark gray fear. She tried a not so subtle attempt at looking alluring, but she would not fool me so easily. Vampires like her were all the same, using their sensuality to try to trigger a protective or relaxed demeanor in their quarry.

"Hello, handsome," the female said with a deep, sultry voice. "What have I done to be so lucky to have you looking for me? Or are you just lonely?"

"You won't count yourself lucky to meet me after you hear why I am here. Do you think you have any guesses why a Guardian would be called to attention for your presence?"

At the word 'Guardian', she bared her teeth and crouched into a defensive position behind a tree. Apparently she knew why I was here.

"I take that as a 'yes'. What do you have to say in your defense? Anything?" I advanced toward her slowly. I was prepared for her to run, but she wouldn't outrun me. "Look, I don't enjoy having to fulfill the punishment for your transgressions, but you have to follow the rules, you know that don't you? I will give you a fair chance to plead your case before I pass judgment."

"I didn't do anything! It's just that Romley has it out for me. He is doing something terrible and I found out about it. He is trying to set me up!" She was frantically trying to back away from me, while giving some sort of answer.

"Tell me, what do you know that would set someone like Romley after you?" I asked. This might be the break I needed to get the Council to let me investigate Romley more thoroughly. He was a pet of sorts to the Upper Class and was protected from much of what we could do in regard to his trespasses. I would love some ammunition in order to put him in his place. "I promise not to hurt you right now. Just settle down. You know my choices are limited if you try to attack me or run."