Chapter 23. In the Name of Science*

Chapter 23. The Scientist by Coldplay

Evan went into the bright light of the bathroom, squinting her eyes against the intrusion after having been in the semi-dark since she had awakened. She attended to her needs, and then splashed water on her still sleepy looking face. She glanced at the clock perched on the counter, wondering how long she had slept. It was still dark outside, and she thought she remembered the mantle clock chiming midnight. It read 4:45 a.m. Well, at least she had gotten to sleep for a little while.

She gave a little wriggle at the thought of Emil's long hard body laid out beside her, and the feel of his arm around her. I must be desperate if I am enjoying the attention of a killer vampire, she thought to herself. Then she shook her head. He was more than that. He was intriguing. He had saved her from Matt Thomas' assaults. He had tried to save Nathan Clark. At those thoughts she shivered in disgust. If Emil hadn't been there, would Matt have stopped his advance on her? She didn't want to think of it, as the remembered sensation of his clammy hand on her neck sickened her. Emil had been more than attentive to her yesterday when she was a soppy mess, her fears surfacing against her will. Emil was what every woman wanted in a man, but he wasn't a man. And Matt Thomas was worse than a cruel predator, more like the stereotypical vampire.

She took a drink of water after brushing her teeth, and then looked at her reflection in the mirror. What on earth must he think of me? She critically appraised her red hair, her too long legs, and her pale freckly skin. Her father always made fun of her hair, calling her carrot top as a child when her hair was lighter. She didn't think there was anything special about the face that looked back at her. Maybe Emil was just curious about her gift, not her. Just in case, she changed into jeans and a sweater that offset her green eyes.

She went downstairs slowly, padding quietly in her thick winter socks. As she went she looked through the banister at Emil's back, hunched over the hearth setting a new fire. He stood up quickly and turned to face her. His appraising eyes looked her over quickly from head to toe, causing a blush to burn across her cheeks.

"Lovely," he murmured.

Unsure what to say, Evan walked past him into the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee. The short hours of sleep weren't difficult for her to shake, as she had years of sleepless call nights under her belt. The coffee would help her alertness though. When she turned from the counter, Emil was standing beside her. She put a hand to her chest and laughed. "I'm going to have to put a bell on you, so you can't sneak up on me!"

Emil smiled and leaned once again against the counter. "Where do you want to start?"

"I don't know." Evan wanted to ask about Nathan Clark, but wasn't sure how to bring it up. She thought she knew what had happened. She was going to try a more roundabout way, since he had already told her he wasn't going to tell her what he had done with the boy. So she said instead, "Well, at the beginning. How did you become a vampire?"

Emil's face was unreadable for a moment then he gave a small smile. "That is a long story. Are you sure you don't have another easier one for me?"

"You said I could ask anything! You're not backing down now are you?" Evan mocked.

"No, you're right. I said anything. Are you up for it?"

"Of course I am! I wouldn't have asked if it wasn't important." Evan poured a cup of coffee for herself. She frowned, remembering him at her table the day before. She looked up at him with a curious expression. "Do you want some?"

"No," he said with a smile. "I was just keeping up appearances Saturday."

"Okay, shall we?" she said, holding out one hand, coffee in the other, leading the way to the living room and the warm fire. Emil followed her without a word.