Chapter 30. Trouble*

Chapter 30. Trouble by Cold Play

Replaying every moment of the last two weeks with Evan, I wondered at the implications of the closeness I'd developed with her. As I held her in my arms, I watched sleep steal over her. She would leave me to go back to her life in a few short hours. She slept peacefully, though I was surprised after our night's flight. The new monster who had discovered us tonight had been hunting us. He had stayed downwind, so I did not catch his scent until it was almost too late. I acted as quickly as I could to protect Evan. I didn't care about the things I left behind. Not nearly as much as what it would mean to me if anything happened to her.

I knew I would track the other creature down, if it took me a fortnight. I did not want word of my situation with Evan to get back to Romley. I had heard he was already asking after Tourneau. I could only surmise that I had finally angered him and he was trying to hurt me in some way to deter my investigation into his shady practices. It would not work. I would kill him myself if I had to protect my family. My family...Evan was like my family, as was Tourneau. The possessive side of me swelled as I wrapped my arms around my newfound treasure.

Later that morning, Evan still slept soundly, so I got up, secured the apartment, and let Marie know of Evan's presence and not to wake her. Going back on my promise not to leave, I left for a short while to start scouting the Newborn that had hunted us. I scented from the rooftops, trying to ascertain if the Being had gotten anywhere near my home. I did not find the tell-tale signature of that particular vampire, but there was a familiar scent in the air. My friend had returned.

I was back at Evan's side when she awakened, my search turning up fruitless in the short time I had to look.

"Hello, handsome," she said to me, as she stretched her arms over her head and smiled.

The possessive little monster in me let itself be known, and I honestly didn't feel a need to suppress it. "Good afternoon, love."

"Why does it seem that we spend so much time in bed, instead of out and about?" Evan said with a laugh as she sat up against the headboard. "Oh, yeah. You're a creature of the night, and I am a damsel in distress."

"I just think you are sleep deprived, and the only way I could catch up to you is to catch you in bed," I said mischievously.

"Really?" she said and wiggled her eyebrows, leaning seductively away from me.

She seemed so much more comfortable in her skin than that first intrusive meeting I happened to arrange. I leaned over and kissed her shoulder and followed the long line of her neck up to her mouth. I kissed her just once then pulled away.

"Sorry. You have to go to work tonight. It just wouldn't be fair to get you stirred up before you have to care for sick people."

She frowned at me, but looked at the clock. Then she looked saddened. She put on an exaggerated pout and crawled over to me and sat on my lap. "I don't really want to go, you know."

I didn't want her to go, but I had to make it as easy as possible. "I know, but you have to. It's the right thing."

She nodded and looked around. "Can I at least try that cave of a shower before I go," she teased.

I just nodded and tried not to think of her naked body. I left the room to let her get ready. A short while later, she emerged, dragging her bags behind her. I hurried to help her, and we walked hand in hand down the several flights of stairs to the garage beneath my building. I drove her slowly to her home in Benton Park in my Maserati. As I pulled up to the curb, Evan looked at me with questions in her eyes.

"What is your Audi doing here?" she asked.

"It's yours now," I said, trying to make it seem like it was of no consequence.

"I can't take that. It is yours, and you don't have to give me a car. I don't need gifts like that," she rushed, frowning.

"I know you don't need it, but I would really feel better if you had your own car to drive, so you don't have to walk or ride the bus. There are too many Newborns around here, and I would simply feel better if I knew you weren't among the potential victims," I said, pleading my case.

Evan sat back against the door, eyeing me warily. She thought a moment, and then said, "Okay. But it is only a loan. Once things settle down, it goes back to your garage."

"Fine. Thank you," I said, wanting to agree to whatever I could in order for her to take my car. I held out the keys to the black car I never planned on taking back.

"Here you go."

She held out her hand and I dropped the keys into it. It took only a moment before a smile lit across her face. "Wow. I get to drive a nice car."

"You need to go get ready for work. It's five thirty," I said opening her door. She had not even had time to see me leave my seat.

"Must be nice to move so fast. I wish I could move that fast sometimes in a trauma. I could maybe save a few more lives."

I carried her bags up to her porch, and waited for her to open the door to her home. It had a neglected feel to it. This was too nice a place to forget. I would insist on spending more time here, not just for her benefit. I enjoyed the feel of my old home.

I watched later as Evan pulled out of the driveway in her new car, waving as she drove away. I had told her I would be gone for the next few days, to look for the other Being that we had encountered. I would check in with her by phone when it was safe. She said she understood, but I hoped she would be okay. I was not looking forward to being away from her, but we each had been solitary not that long ago. Surely we could both manage to be apart for less than a week.