Chapter 52. Responsibility*

Chapter 52. Too High by Dave Matthews

Evan and I were lying in the whirlpool where I was enjoying the feel of her bumping against me in the water. Each time she brushed against my water-warmed flesh, the electricity she sent through me triggered erotic images of things to come. My one-track thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door, very quickly followed by the door opening and admitting Tourneau into our haven.

Evan flailed to cover herself under the water, slipping behind me in mortification. I tried to put myself more fully in front of her as I glared at my rude friend. "Seriously, Jean, do you have no tact?"

"Emil, as much as I would love to allow for you to have a leisurely day of love-making with our wonderful Evan, I must remind you of your responsibility to the Guardians."

His words were the equivalent of a thorough drenching with ice water. The responsibility that had befallen me with the coup on the Enclave crashed over me and my anger turned to embarrassment. "Sorry, Jean. I know better. It's just so much has happened, and I needed some time with Evan. Our lives have been in a whirlwind for so long."

"Understood, but it is time to begin making arrangements for the next step," Tourneau said gently. "Evan, love, do you understand what is going on here?"

"Honestly, no. Not really," Evan answered from over my right shoulder.

"Emil, maybe we need to meet with our soldiers and regroup. And catch our newest members up to where we stand. What do you think?" Tourneau asked as he made his way to the door.

"Go gather the troops. I'll be there in a few minutes. I'm going to bring Evan up to speed," I told my friend. He nodded and pulled the door shut behind him.

I brought Evan around to face me and forced myself to ignore the enticing way her skin moved slickly against mine. I stole one more kiss from her, hoping that I would not push her away with what I was going to reveal to her. Pulling the plug on the tub, I stepped out of the warm water and held my hand out to help Evan up. Quickly, I dried her off and then myself. I was surprised that the angry red scars on my stomach had faded so much. I had thought they would remain as permanent reminders of my stupidity. Evan had pulled on the fluffy white robe I had bought her when she had taken refuge with me when she was still human. I proceeded to dress in black slacks and a red button down shirt.

Evan had not taken her eyes off me the whole time, unnerving me with her unwavering gaze. Slipping into socks and black shoes, I said, "What?"

"I have a feeling that you're hiding something from me, and I don't have any idea what could be so terrible about you that you believe that'd be necessary," she answered, coming to frame my face with her cool hands. Aching, I realized how I missed her human warmth.

"I'm interested how you'll feel once I confess all to you," I said, pulling away as she tried to kiss me again. I could tell I had hurt her with my actions, but I needed to focus on my responsibilities. "I haven't been completely honest with you Evan. About what I am."

"What do you mean? You aren't a vampire? Or a Guardian? What else could you be?" Evan exclaimed with a harsh laugh, the hurt and confusion painting her lovely face in a myriad of shadows.

"Okay, nothing like that, Evan. You probably know more of the real me than anyone here, including Tourneau," I said reaching out to her, trying to smooth the worry from her brow. "The fact is, I'm now the new leader of the Guardians. Since the fall of the Enclave and the disappearance of the Brethren, the duty of leadership falls to me. There aren't many of us left here, and I will have to get in contact with the other regional leaders to let them know what has happened. I have to step up and keep things running smoothly, so those...civilian vampires know that the structure the Guardians have worked so hard to instill remains despite the fall of the Enclave."