Chapter 66. Escape*

Chapter 66. Runaway by Linkin Park

Marie's screaming registered in the commotion all around us. As I continued to level my weapon at Arazel, I tried to push her toward Aiden, but she fought against me. He gained control of her finally, letting me focus on the threat around us. The Brethren kept their distance with surprised and curious faces, watching for a reaction from Amahté.

"You...you're like them," Marie cried accusingly.

"Not now, Marie," I said, "Aiden get her out of here before it gets ugly."

Amahté seemed to be growing in front of me, as if he was swelling in size. His features had taken on an intimidating toothsome snarl and he began to weave in front of us. Ari and Benjamin stood on either side of him, as if unsure what to do.

"Stop it, father," Arazel said calmly, the strange smirk still in place on his odd face. "You'll just get me hurt if you continue your ridiculous posturing. I don't think this one is bluffing."

"He's right Amahté. I thought we might be able to make some sense of what was going on here, but I cannot stand by and let you and the Brethren do this to the humans. We would surely be found out for what we are and that is our first rule, is it not? That our existence is to be kept secret from humans, for fear of another hunt?" I asked, trying to buy time for Aiden to work his way out with Marie.

"I did not sign up for this," Steele declared. Incredulously he asked, "Aristarchus, is that what you have in mind? A human slaughter?"

"I didn't sign up for that either!" Luther insisted. "Tell us what is going on here."

"Now, Guardians, who are you going to believe? Emil, who I told you has tried to take over the Enclave, or me? Me, Aristarchus, who has been your superior for centuries. Have I ever steered you wrong?" the elder challenged.

"It doesn't matter what you say, Ari. The Ancient One has stated his intent and I don't believe you are going to go against him," Luther replied as he stepped in front of Hawk.

During this exchange, Amahté had deflated some, but the ferocious snarl had not left his face. I truly believed he had gone mad. His eyes were burning red and his fangs had elongated to gruesome lengths, dripping saliva. I knew that if we actually engaged in a fight with the Ancient One, chances were, not all of us would make it out. I was beginning to think I had two more allies in the room, but I did not want to be too hasty with trusting Steele and Luther. However, it increased my odds of getting out of the room if they were also going against the Elders and the Ancient One.

Arazel turned to face his father, completely disregarding the gun I had trained on him. He looked quizzically at the Ancient One and said, "Father, what are they talking about? Slaughtering humans? What are we doing here? I thought you came so that I could see more of the world and you could visit your friends. Not human slaughter."

Amahté turned his glowing eyes on his son and hissed, "I should have killed you when I realized my experiment had failed, but your mother could not produce another specimen. You have no idea what we are capable of, you worthless worm!"

These words brought the first appropriate reaction from Arazel that I had seen so far. His shoulders slumped and disappointment crossed his brow. He turned then, spread his arms wide and walked forward until the barrel of my gun rested against his chest. I could feel his heart beat reverberate through the steel of the gun.

He said simply, "Give him what he wants."

My finger moved against the trigger and a ringing shot echoed around the room.